Treestand distance

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by sletten25, Oct 3, 2016.

1. sletten25

sletten25 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    How far would you guys set your stands apart from each other? I am hunting a new property this year and have a stand about 100yrds in the woods from a corn field but I wanna throw a stand on the corn field edge..what are your thoughts?

2. w33kender

w33kender Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    My wife and I hunt about that far apart and it covers completely different travel routes for deer and hogs. We aren't cutting each other off at all. 100 yards in the woods imo could feel like 200, depending on the understory or lack therof.

3. Skylar oren

Skylar oren Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Exactly^

4. emgepi

emgepi Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I would do it. I have 2 stands that are probably 40 yards apart. One on the edge of the alfalfa field and the other inside the woods for catching them milling around before they enter the field.

5. Arkyinks

Arkyinks Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have stands with in 75 yards of each other because I hunt the stand with the best wind. I have sit in stands and seen others in theirs and scored. If a deer bust someone else it may put them under you. In someplaces 100 yd is a whole new world.

6. ruck139

ruck139 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The more stands the merrier. It is always better to keep moving around than to hunt out of the same tree over and over. I have countless stand sites, and try to hunt the one that offers the best location for the wind direction that day.

7. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have something like 9 stands on 40 acres. I can see 3 or 4 from one of my stands. They are all setup to hunt on different winds or different travel routes. I have deer in range of each and every one of these stands at times. Whether or not I'm in the right stand at the right time, that's another story most of the time.

8. w33kender

w33kender Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I love my climber for the flexibility of hunting multiple spots, all of 'em kinda' close. I just don't enjoy all of the exercise before I'm settled and in place. And when I forget to attach my drag rope to the bow before ascending? D'ohhhhhhhh!

9. remmett70

remmett70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    If you are putting it there to hunt different conditions and times there isn't to close except maybe hanging on the back of the same tree.

10. Shoot Straight

Shoot Straight Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I wouldn't hesitate at all. My dad and I have sets that are close enough I've listened to his arrow find its place in the rib cages of whitetails. We've had several occasions when we both shot deer in the same night in those stands.

11. Pro V1

Pro V1 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have 3 stands & a blind within 100 yards of each other @ my current property.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have three stand sites within 75 yrds of each other. I like to alternate.

13. bow nut

bow nut Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My hunting buddy and I have 3 stands within 100 yds. He can here me shoot to tell me if sounded good or not

14. spanod374

spanod374 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    We have 4 stands and 1 blind on a great piece of our land (2-4 acres) just based on winds. If you have the resources put up as many as needed. Or just get yourselves a great gun and gun set. Lone wolf is my preferred setup but their are plenty of others too! Good luck!

15. ruttin2

ruttin2 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have a few sets where I have stands 35 yards apart wind is everything and that's why I have a few stands in one area

16. PolarBoy

PolarBoy Newb

Dislikes Received:
    When I talk about stands, I usually refer to stand locations. Within one location I may have 2-3 stands hung so I can opt for a quick audible if I want hunt a certain spot but conditions dont favor one specific stand (e.g. wind, bumping deer in the morning on the way to a specified stand). That being said, my favor spot has three stands hung, all within 150 yard radius of one another. I know that some may not have a plethora of stands laying around, so better to cover area rather than pack a certain spot if your in a stand shortage (just my opinion).

The beauty and curse of bowhunting is that 20 yards can make the difference between filling the freezer; having someone hunting 100 yards away actually could up your odds of tagging out since you are covering an area more thoroughly, and covering the holes were something could just slip by.

wouldn't say the same if you were rifle hunting though.

17. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I have 2 within 35 yards of each other for different winds.