Tree stands

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Crossbow Jared, Mar 4, 2012.

1. Crossbow Jared

Crossbow Jared Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    How many of you people out there use climbing tree stands??

2. jkcmerg

jkcmerg Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I use LW hang on and sticks now. I too am looking into a good climber. It will be interesting to see what a good climber would be...

3. flatwoodshunter

flatwoodshunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I use API climbing stands a lot, mostly on public land, also use hang on stands and ladder stands, mostly on private land.

4. Sticknstringarchery

Sticknstringarchery Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I use a cheap climber. Would like tp buy a high end one but, will probably buy sticks and hang on when I do.

5. Beef

Beef Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I use a Lone Wolf Alpha Hand Cliber .... LOVE IT :)

6. muzzyman88

muzzyman88 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I've been using a Summit Bushmaster climber. Its a bare bones stand from them. I like it for the most part. But, I'm kicking the idea around about buying the LW Sit and Climb Wide version to try out this season.

7. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I have a Summit Goliath. Great all around stand. The LW or Summits are good bets if you can spend the money.

8. ultramax

ultramax Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If you enjoy being Mobil and you have the type of trees it's my favorite stand,and it's really hard for someone to steal while it's on your back. Too much stuff walking off anymore to not have one anymore.

9. indynotch50

indynotch50 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have a cheap one, but I found the area where I hunt, I did more hunting for trees that would work than hunting for deer. When I did use it, I was never too comfortable with it. I was always nervous of it falling from the tree. Not sure why, I know it was in my head. Therefore I went with a high end stand and sticks. Well worth the money. If you hunt areas with tall straight trees with little to no branches, they work fantastic. I can't use it at my house but it works well at my uncles.

10. rizzo999

rizzo999 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have a cheap one that I have used for about 10 years now. I got it from Sportsman's Guide for less than $90. I know that it is supposed to be soooooo much heavier than the latest and greatest aluminum models, but it is literally the most comfortable climber I have ever utilized for those all day sits. Also, it is super-quiet.

I use it on public land hunts where I have to walk 1-3 miles from the parking areas and be mobile. I typically will carry in a hang-on with sticks the first trip and find a good location based on some quick scouting or a good location from a previous hunt at that public land. The second trip I will bring in my climber with a bike lock and attach it to a tree in an inconspicuous location to deter a theft. Then, during a couple day trip to a week-long trip I have access to multiple tree stands. The key to keeping the climber in good condition is to store it in a shed, garage or basement out of season so it does not become a loose and noisy climber.

11. muzzyman88

muzzyman88 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:

This brings up a really good point and something I want to direct to the OP. DO NOT skimp on a treestand, regardless of whether its a climber or hang on. I personally would stick with a reputable company such as Summit, Lone Wolf or Ol' Man for example. Cheap stands, for the most part, are just that, cheap. They're either noisy, heavy, uncomfortable or all three.

Go somewhere where you can test a couple out. Cabelas, if you have one close enough to drive, is a good bet since they usually have everything on display to check out.

12. GABowhunter

GABowhunter Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    I use a Summit Viper on days I plan to sit all day.

13. jmbuckhunter

jmbuckhunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have a Lone Wolf Sit & Climb that I use a lot. But I'd like to get a hand climber top section for it. The sling type seat can get a bit uncomfortable on a long sit. I can sit longer on my Lone Wolf hang ons. Plus they have the flip up seats on the new climbers.

14. vectrix27

vectrix27 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have hunted out of an old API grand slam for about ten years. I love it. Very comfortable IMO.

15. round cam

round cam Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I've used my Summit climber for over 10 yrs, mostly public land with lots of tall maples. I just find it tough to shoot sitting because the seat is a sling. Might just be me...

It's a good way to get your blood pumping in the morning if the walk in didn't do it.

Also sucks when you drop your hat...

16. Beef

Beef Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The hand climber with hunt comfort seat is very comfortable

17. Bob Thomas

Bob Thomas Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have ladders, loc ons and my climber is a Summit Viper and I have no issues with it. I've learned if you set the backpack straps correctly the cables won't get in the way while walking like many people complain about. I've also filled the hollows with foam to keep things quiet. I love this stand!
    That being said, I bought a Guido's Web this year. I like the idea of always having my harness on. I've got a target in the back yard and a tree I plan on practicing from using the web so I will be ready to use it this season.

18. northernredneck

northernredneck Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I also have a summit climber and love it. The tall trees with no branches till you get about 20 to 30ft up make using one a sinch. I love being moble too it helps alot when chasing animals out west.

19. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I use a summit 180 max sd. I love the thing. It's a little on the heavy side, but the fact its like a camo lazy-boy in the sky makes me forget all about the weight. Plus I don't have any long hikes to any of my spots.