Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Tree stand Theft deterant

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by eastendhunter, Jan 19, 2010.

1. eastendhunter

eastendhunter Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I am wondering what ideas are out there for stopping or at least deterring the left of your ladder stands. I know if somebody wants it bad enough they will get it, but other than just a cable lock any body got any other ideas???

2. KodiakArcher

KodiakArcher Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Set a trailcam up in a nearby tree so that if it is stolen you can identify the thieves. Not really a deterrent I know but some kind of help anyway.

3. BowTech_Shooter

BowTech_Shooter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:

It's like anything else, if they want it, they'll take it...

Personally, I use a big azz cable and really big padlock (like shown below) that I buy at Lowe's. It will at least make them work for it...

[​IMG]

4. Buck Magnet

Buck Magnet Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Landmines..... seriously though, the cable lock is about it. Ladder stands are great, but the big problem with them is that they are easy to spot and easy to steal.

5. Christine

Christine Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I saw one out on public ground where I hunt that was built out of 4"x4" and 6"x6" lumber.
    1) who would want to try dragging that thing out and
    2) would you really want risk running into the dude who was able to put that stand out there??

:)

When K and I had stands out, we put them a half mile (ladder) and 3/4 mile back into the woods. We figured thieves are lazy and wouldn't go after ours when there were easier stands to take. (plus they were cheapo stands) Nobody took them.

6. Buck Magnet

Buck Magnet Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    This is very common here in PA. I have helped my grandfather and several friends build them and put them up. They are great as they give you a huge platform, but it takes a TON of work to get them into the woods and set-up. I am not sure of the weight, but the heaviest one we set-up was still easier to set-up than a 2-man Gorilla ladder stand... now that was a pain.

7. Scott/IL

Scott/IL Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    The stands that I happen to leave on public land, I lock them up, and then take the steps out with me. This past year, I began running around and taking down my stand after every hunt.

8. eastendhunter

eastendhunter Newb

Dislikes Received:
    yeah thanks guys- just was wondering if anybody had come up with something that seemed to work. On long Island we basically all hunt in residental areas as there is now open land left. My problem this year has been with a neighboring land owner who is anti hunting. They stole a stand even though it was locked because they didnt like how close it was to their property. I am 100 percent legal where i am but unfortunatly the people who come out here to their weekend mansions have taken over out here. The midwest is looking better and better.

9. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Then yes, use a trail cam and bust them for theft. If they steal over $1000 worth it should be felony grand theft! ;)

10. brucelanthier

brucelanthier Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Carry it in and carry it out each hunt. Can't get stolen if it isn't there.

11. Focnr

Focnr Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    This.
    (man i hate the character limit. :P)

12. BowTech_Shooter

BowTech_Shooter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    IMO the trail cam pictures are only good if the thief can be identified; they could wear a mask, etc.

And heck, what if they steal the camera too?

13. Bawanajim

Bawanajim Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have found a simple note explaining why I was released and the medication I'm infrequently taking as well as my disability application is all the deterrent I need to keep those who foolishly think that they will enjoy even a moment of enjoyment from one of my ill gotten stands.

14. TeeJay

TeeJay Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Dont use flagging tape to disclose your position.:D:D:D

15. MNKK

MNKK Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I thought that was changed to $400 or something? Or is this depending on your state/jurisdiction?

LOL

16. HuntingBry

HuntingBry Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Jim, Labatts Blue is not medication and there is nothing infrequent about your consumption of it.;):D

17. Miss_Jessica

Miss_Jessica Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:

Thieves have more energy than you think. If they put their motivation into say, I don't know, getting a job the world would be a better place. We've had stands, ratchet straps, cameras, you name it stolen from people I bear hunt with. We've tried all sorts of things but what I've found works the best is to take down your tree steps. Most people don't pack those around with them so they won't be able to get to your stand. But if they've already located your stand they can always come back with steps and get it which I wouldn't doubt anyone to do. Setting up an extra trail cam on your stand isn't a bad idea either

18. Christine

Christine Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You're right, the thieves often find the energy to steal stands from this hunting area... but there's seriously at least one treestand every 100 yards or so along the field edges so they can steal a bunch of easier ones way before they made it back to ours. (the hang on was well hidden, it was often tricky finding it the dark, even with it marked on our gps) Usually the ones closest to the roads get stolen. I always wonder what happens to all the stolen stands. Do these guys have 100 stands piled up in barn??
    Mostly I use a climber. Much less worry. :D

19. MeanV2

MeanV2 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Any Stands that I lock I use North Starr cable locks. Really big SS cable, next to impossible to cut. Locks usually only keep the honest people honest though.

If you use a trail cam. Use a section of speed rails, etc to set the cam up out of sight and make it harder to get to. You can then angle it down to catch what you want. I set most of my cams this way regardless.

Dan

20. Miss_Jessica

Miss_Jessica Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I wonder the same thing! Makes you want to put a tracking device on it and show up at their house, knock on the door, and say, "Hi, can I have my tree stand back please. ***hole!" We definitely don't have that many stands in our area which makes it even worse that people are able to find them and then steal them. I know some of our stuff has been stolen by people we know. Real good friends some of these guys keep