Tree stand help.

Discussion in 'Intro to Bowhunting & Archery' started by Sfsapper, Aug 6, 2017.

1. Sfsapper

Sfsapper Newb

Dislikes Received:
    So as I am new to bow hunting and virginia, I do not have an area I can use for hunting all year so I'm probably only going to be able to hunt an area for 1 to 3 days or so. So I'm not sure which stand to choose. I know its not ideal to set up a stand in the am and take it down at the end of the day or the end of 3 days but this year I really don't have a choice. I have been looking at the 2 person ladder stands for my son and I since he is a first time hunter but I worry about setting this up in the am and not seeing anything because the deer heard us setting up a stand at 6 am. They are much quieter from what I heard than a climbing stand. Does anyone have any suggestions?
    Thank you

Last edited: Aug 6, 2017
  2. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    A run and gun type of setup with a hang-on and climbing sticks should work great for you. I've often set-up, hunted and taken down all in a morning or afternoon. With practice you can be safe, quiet and fast. I use a Lone Wolf Assault and sticks for that kind of hunting, but there are a ton of stand and stick combos out there that will work for you.

Archie45 likes this.
  3. parkersdad

parkersdad Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm from Virginia originally as well and hunt there still some. In my opinion buy a summit climber as all of the trees in your area will work with a climbing stand. I hunt North Carolina and 95% of the places here climbers will work. You should have some public land around you to access as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Sfsapper

Sfsapper Newb

Dislikes Received:
    So would you all say that a ladder stand is out of the question. I am looking at the 2 person stand so that my son who is a first time hunter can be seated next to me and I don't have to worry about him climbing into his own stand just yet

5. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
  6. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    ^^^That moment when you have your text open and your bowhunting forum open at the same time

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

Tribeck, Swamp Stalker and TKP030 like this.
  7. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Ladder stands are the easy for a youth to climb, but if you have to put up and take down every hunt or weekend, not the best way to go. Double ladder stands are heavy and very hard to install, even with 2 people. I started using a climber when I was 12 or 13. I feel it would be easiest solution for your kid. The problem would you both would have to buy a climber. Also you guys can climb the same tree. The other solution would be sticks and hang on. You could use the same sticks and set 2 hang ons in same tree.

8. BB4tw

BB4tw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    You could search eBay for the River's Edge Pack N Stack. It is a highly portable ladder stand only about 12 feet tall that would fit your needs for your son while you use another stand in a nearby tree or even the opposite side of the same tree.

Sent from my VS500 using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

9. pdun24

pdun24 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I hunt in ladder stands and I hate moving them. Especially the only 2 person stand we have. We don't move them during the season. I'd do what some of these guys suggested and get a run and gun type set up that you can move easily. Lone wolf and Muddy make very nice portable set ups. They will cost you significantly more than a ladder stand (especially if you're buying 2 for you and your son), but the convince and time saved will be nice. Get a good harness for you and your son as well.

Tribeck likes this.
  10. zachd

zachd Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    How old is your son?

I would say two light weight hang on stands and climbing sticks is the way to go .....

I sometimes hunt property where I have to set up and take down every day. I can set up in about 10 minutes
    In fact I shot my biggest deer to date an hour after I set up

11. zachd

zachd Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Set them up like this people do it for a camera man all the time.
    Also look up life line from hunter safety systems
    Its a climbing line that will keep your boy safe while climbing the quick steps

When I was 13 I was setting up tree stands (screw in steps) and hanging the tree stand always wore a harness and never had a problem myself.
    I think I was safer climbing back then than I am now. I mean I used to climb higher in trees no harness just using the limbs when I was 8-10 now I am not as nimble :lol:
    2stands.png

Tribeck likes this.
  12. takemrarely

takemrarely Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Ground blind

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

13. Captn Kirk

Captn Kirk Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    In Virginia as well Fredericksburg I use ladder stands a climber and a hang on /sticks depending on location access ect. Unless the kid is large and strong packing in and out a stand climber or hang on will be hard. Unless you can drive or wheel a double ladder stand to your spot forget it. I agree with a blind The kid would only need to handle his bow and a chair. Get a hang on and start him setting it up or just sitting in it one stick high then two ect and practice shooting from it as well if you can. Your welcome to visit and see how I am set up and can shoot from a practice setup

Tribeck likes this.
  14. Sfsapper

Sfsapper Newb

Dislikes Received:
    He is 14 years old now. Bought him a bow for Christmas last year when he was 13 and he has been practicing ever since. Didn't really think about the tree stand part until now. So much for planning ahead.

15. JungleJoe

JungleJoe Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Get a lone wolf. They last, travel light and are made really well.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

16. Anthony2991

Anthony2991 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yes i agree hang on and sticks would be the best bet. Since you are buying two lonewolf is probably out of the question sticks and stands will run well over $500 rivers edge makes an aluminum cast stand that is just a little over $100, and the hawk heliums are good and affordable, just shop around.

Tribeck likes this.
  17. zachd

zachd Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I like the xop vanish for running and gunning you can pick one up for 140-150
    I have hunted lone wolf and I cant personally justify spending that much more money over the xop

Jmnhunter likes this.
  18. sig239

sig239 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'd go 2 hang ons and sticks. Either way you go, make sure you're harnessed up. You can use a lineman's climbing up then do a safety line for him to hook up with.

19. Worzeth

Worzeth Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yes a ladder stand is out of the question. A good 15ft high ladder stand for a single hunter are like 70 lbs and the 3 sections of ladders are 5 to 6 ft long each. It's very bulky to move and setup. A 2 person ladder stand would be 100 lbs I bet. If you're only going to be hunting an area for a few days then no way. I know from exp. I have my own land and have ladder stands and love them. I also leave them up all year long. If you're going to be hunting with your son and depending on his age. I would suggest a ground blind. If you are going to be hunting alone I would say go climber 1st then ground blind. A ground blind is only 3 or 4 lbs and comes in a bag. You can set them up in 10 or 15 mins with brushing them in. You can be hunting in 20 mins. Break down is under 5 mins. A climber stand is only 15 lbs maybe and you can be up the tree hunting in about 5 mins. I run in gun with a ground blind in spring turkey season. I also use a ground blind when I hunt public land for deer with friends and they work great.

20. whydidyousaveme41

whydidyousaveme41 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    In my experience, two man ladder stands are super heavy and very difficult to set up. I've started using a one man ladder stand in combination with a hang-on. I put the hang-on just above and turned 90 degrees from the ladder stand. I sit in the hang on and my son is in the ladder. Gives us a much broader field of view and allows me to easily tap him on the shoulder to alert him to incoming deer. Also makes a great perspective for filming with my phone as I can see both him and the deer in the same shot.