Tree Stand and Camera theft?!

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by BowhuntOrDie, Nov 17, 2016.

1. BowhuntOrDie

BowhuntOrDie Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    What is it that drives low lives in this world to steal somebody elses things? What makes them believe that they deserve something more than I do? I am by no means wealthy, I barely survive if im being completely honesy here, but I live and breath bowhunting. Its everything I love. I devote hundreds of hours to scouting, preparing and stand time. I spend almost all my damn money(aside from major bills) on hunting. From gas, to posted signs, to hang ons arrows and broadheads, as you all are so well aware of, this sport can be expensive at times. So for me to go into the woods today to check my trail camera, and find out that it was gone, along with my best hang on and climber, I was completely devastated. It has really put a hurting on my mindset of this sport and its people. Now i dont know what im going to do for the remainder of the season, and the orange army comes on Saturday! Bye bye hit list bucks! Sorry for the rant, but that being said, does anyone here know of any good online deals or chain store deals going on for stands in the upcoming week? It would need to be really cheap as i dont know if ill even be able to pull off affording one at this given time, but i just dont want to give up on this season just yet, and Ive never been successful from the ground! Any insight would be appreciated!

2. Incog

Incog Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    PM me your address and I'll loan you my lone wolf hang on. Just ship it back to me after your season is done.

Inc

3. BowhuntOrDie

Dislikes Received:
    That is such an incredibly generous offer, but i could never ask for something like that. I couldnt accept that. Thank you so much though!

4. Incog

Incog Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm tagged out and haven't used it in 3 years. Up to you though.

5. JasonOhio2018

JasonOhio2018 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Go buy one of those cheap lock ons from Walmart for like $50. Buy some screw in steps and get back hunting. It's no lone wolf and yes it's heavy. But it will get you hunting. I hate thieves!

6. JasonOhio2018

JasonOhio2018 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    That's one reason I love this sport. Guys like this willing to help someone out. We need more of this. Stand up move.

7. Incog

Incog Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well, he isn't from OHIO, so I'm more than happy to help! :poke:

Go Blue!

8. selfbros

selfbros Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Also, it's the middle of the rut. You could (if possible) set up on the ground. Where do you live? I have a used hang on you can have for $25. I'm in IL

9. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry to hear of you losses. Yea, I hate thieves too!!! This was on your private property?

10. pick00l

pick00l Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    It really S$%ks to have anything stolen, especially your cam and stand. I have no idea why except, some people can't resist an opportunity.

Walmart usually has stands on the economical end. Also check your local craigs list. In gun season, don't overlook being on the ground either.

I hunt public land and take chances leaving my stands and multiple cams in place. I have lost a stand many years back that was not chained. Left it out for a total of 6 hours unattended in an area we hunted a lot and never saw anyone. Murphy's law.

Now, any stand I want to keep get's a lock and chain. All cams have security boxes and locks. Of course someone can cut the chain but, it's a little deterrent.

Best of luck to you.

11. Incog

Incog Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Caught a guy red handed taking a camera tripod that I had modified into a shooting rest for my crossbow. I left it hidden under some camo netting on a Saturday with the intention to hunt Sunday after Church. Went out to put a coffee can of corn out and saw him, his GF, and a 6ish year old little girl. They didn't see me and he said - "Look what I found", grabs it and the netting, and starts to walk off. I coughed loudly and he dropped it and kept walking away.

Now you know what they say about short people... We can't keep our mouths shut in a confrontation :mad:. This guy is over a foot taller than me and 50+ pounds heavier. I said something about leaving other peoples property alone. Oops. He came over to me and I recognized him as a suspected drug dealer that used to live around the corner from me. Both adults were swearing up a storm at me in front of the little girl. Of course, my cell phone is in the truck 1/2 mile away and I'm in Church clothes. Doh! Thought for sure that it was going to get physical (He poked me in the chest a few times). I think the only thing that stopped it was my calmness and the fact that I never took my right hand out of my jacket pocket. He kept glancing at the pocket and finally walked away.

Of course, in my mind - I'd have won.

12. A5BLASTER

A5BLASTER Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry to hear some trash stole your gear sir. If I had a spare I would loan it to you for sure.

I'm a public land hunter and don't leave anything out but my freinds always ask why do you carry a 40cal pistol.

13. Joe p

Joe p Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hit me up I have stands for you to use Hudson valley

14. Incog

Incog Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
  15. BowhuntOrDie

Dislikes Received:
    Yes it was on private property, and i typically do lock my stands when i leave them. Though this was a new part of the property that i hadnt hunted much in the past and i was hunting hard for this buck that was using the area. I hung my last(and better) hang on in one spot and had to resort to leaving my climber in another, about 200yds away. Just because they were all i had left. I had just hunted the spot two days ago, overslept this morning and find out that it is all gone! I was soo damn upset. But Incog making me an offer like that truly is generous and a stand up move. I appreciate that. Im going to check into wally worlds ameristep stands and ****'s sporting goods Field and stream stands($49.99 and $39.99 respectively). The ameristep has backpack straps as well, so that will still give me the mobility since i have Lone wolf climbing sticks. The only thankful thing i can think of, is the fact that my stands that were out there were relatively inexpensive, but still totaling a few hundred dollars. This is probably the only time ill ever say i was thankful that i DONT own a lonewolf alpha, because that stand may have been in my others place given the circumstances! Ugh

16. BowhuntOrDie

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the offer Joe! Ill keep you in mind but im going to evaluate my funds tomorrow when i get paid, and check out some cheap stands so that i wont have to bother anyone else. But where in the valley are you from? Im also hudson valley myself!

17. BowhuntOrDie

Dislikes Received:
    That is insane! Whitetail deer is like crack to some people. I work hard for the sport as do many, many others. Im not going to lie, if someone killed one of my hitlist bucks i would feel a certain level of jealousy, but in the same id be happy for them. But fight them for it? Childish and ignorant. Some peoplw have absolutely no respect

18. Gator Dale

Gator Dale Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Menards have some cheaper stands and climbing stick if u have one close by

19. BowhuntOrDie

Dislikes Received:
    That is insane! Whitetail deer is like crack to some people. I work hard for the sport as do many, many others. Im not going to lie, if someone killed one of my hitlist bucks i would feel a certain level of jealousy, but in the same id be happy for them. But fight them for it? Childish and ignorant. Some peoplw have absolutely no respect

20. sycamoretwitch

sycamoretwitch Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Who am I to make such an offer, no one. I can't imagine that frustration. That being the case, I will buy you a stand to hunt those hit list bucks. Send me your address and I will send the money.

Didn't feel like your post was asking for some handout, by posting I'm not insinuating such. I just hate to see the dark side ever win - God and goodness always wins out man. Sorry to hear of the hardships.

If you don't like the offer my suggestion would be to grab a gun/smoke pole assuming those seasons are left for you and find an elevated place or a fold out chair and set up shop! Good will win out in the end either way! Best of luck.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2016