Tree saddle hunting...

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by mikerock85, Jun 25, 2014.

1. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I crunch on trail mix and a Yeti bottle full of coffee is my nod stopper.

2. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:

[​IMG]

3. jonderrs7

jonderrs7 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I use a Kifaru Shape Charge with the Sherman Pocket. Small enough to carry up the tree, large enough to strap sticks and predator platform to outside. I havent had any issues yet.

Shocker99 likes this.
  4. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I had so much trouble in a newer spot ive been hunting the past 2 years. Its public so i cant just come in and whack a trail or i would. Going “through” is not nearly as bad as going “under” the stuff. I eventually took my4 lonewolf sticks off and carried them in my right hand and bow in left. Surprisingly at times this helped me because the sticks doubled as a walking stick to help me up steep embankments and down the same. Where im hunting is shallow strip mines so its up,down, up, down and thick underbrush throughout. My problem was no matter how flat i thought my pack was to my back i was still getting hung. I also think some kind of cover over the top of the sticks could help deflect stuff instead of it getting tangled up. Ill have to ponder this. I guess i could try one at a time and if i dont like them i could sell and get most of my money back. Im just surprised none of these pack makers has built a pack solely purposed to saddle hunting. It has to be in the works.

5. Shocker99

Dislikes Received:
    Ill check that one out. I also looked at mysteryranch stuff and didnt see one that popped out

jonderrs7 likes this.
  6. Shocker99

Dislikes Received:
    Im pretty sure you were the video i watched about the eberlestock x2. Couldnt remember if it was you or diy sportsman. Looks like a great pack but you hit the nail on the head when you said keep in mind about you carrying the camera gear. I am not carrying 1/10th of what you have as im going deep into thick on public and not filming. This pic doesnt even do it justice but this is kinda what im dealing with. Alot of slow meticulous movement to stay quiet. Forget about it on a windless day. 715C8C11-54AF-4ED8-A4F7-12FBF883174A.jpeg

Swamp Stalker likes this.
  7. jonderrs7

jonderrs7 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    sheesh haha gotta hack your way through that stuff.

Shocker99 likes this.
  8. Shocker99

Dislikes Received:
    Its brutal but then theres clearings in the middle of this stuff. Heres proof theyre in there lol. Stumbled on this buck bed in the middle of stuff like this. 2DACE5BA-2D7A-48AA-B3D7-B846BF2740B9.jpeg Its very hard to navigate but has some brute bucks

cantexian and jonderrs7 like this.
  9. Oly44

Oly44 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I don’t miss going through stuff like that. Still deal with it a little bit on the chunk of public in WI I hunt but now I get to deal with a don’t of hills. Which also suck Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shocker99 likes this.
  10. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I deal with a lot of the same stuff around here, and it sucks. I don't think there's any good way to pack a bunch of stuff through there on your back without it getting hung up a few times. It's just the nature of the beast. I will say I get hung up a lot less with my X2 setup than I did with a full LW stand and sticks on my back, and then a pack on top of that.

When it comes to making a saddle-specific pack, I'm not entirely sure what you would even do. There are so many types and lengths of climbing sticks, along with platforms, it's tough to make a universal model that works for all of them.

The X2 is the closest I've seen to the perfect saddle pack with the way it has both vertical and horizontal lashing straps, along with the side pockets that kind of fold out from the main compartment. It's nearly perfect for putting your climbing sticks into and securing them down. Honestly, the most difficult thing to pack are my dang rattling antlers. They just never fit properly no matter where I put them.

Overall, I'm pretty happy with this pack. It's become my go-to pack even when I'm not saddle hunting. I use it for all of my pre-hung treestand duties as well.

Shocker99 likes this.
  11. Shocker99

Dislikes Received:
    Well thanks for all the input. It really is a personalized choice. We all hunt a little bit different areas and terrain. Ideally, it would be nice to be able to custom order a pack with all the design features that would work best. Im sure a custom pack would cost a pretty penny.
    I think its wither going to be the eberlestock x2, because i like the fact that the side pouches can fold out and sticks can be placed securely in there as you mentioned justin. Or the hill people connor model. He is carrying 6 sticks and a platform in the pic and still looks so low profile. Dont know about anything else but looks like it has side flaps as well that may fold out. Just may have to flip a coin.

12. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have heard a lot of great things about the X2. I would be giving it a look if I was looking at a new pack.

Shocker99 likes this.
  13. Westfinger

Westfinger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Enjoying the discussion and learning a bunch. I'm really digging this saddle hunting. As a private land guy who can't drive anything on my lease its given me a little more freedom and stealth. I'm always having to hang a couple of fresh sets every year to adjust to what the deer are doing based on current crop rotations, logging, wind, etc etc. This has made it super easy and stealthy to make adjustments. Now I just need the right buck to follow the script.

cantexian likes this.
  14. Suncrest08

Suncrest08 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Pulling the trigger on a saddle setup. Think I’m goin with tethered phantom with the XL platform. I’m a buy once cry once guy. I already have 4 LW sticks I’ll use. Might add 2 step aiders to the bottom two sticks. And then have the very top stick to use to help get around while In the saddle. Any must have items for saddle hunting that makes things easier?

Heckler likes this.
  15. Happy

Happy Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Knee pads

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

Westfinger and Suncrest08 like this.
  16. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    It's not an absolute neccessity but a ropeman makes things a little easier. Also, if you have any sort of back issues, I would recommend a back band. I haven't completely given up on the idea but I'm seriously thinking about getting rid of all my saddle gear. I used it for one hunt and wasn't in love with it. Maybe I'm just too old.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

17. Oly44

Oly44 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    What setup do you have now? And what are the main issues you have with it?

18. pastorjim08

Dislikes Received:
    I have a Cruzr XC with a Tethrd Predator xl platform. I use Hawk Heliums to ascend the tree. I think comfort was a big issue for me as well as the method I'm using for climbing. I was watching a video today where the guy was using an XOP seat to climb, much like you would use a climber. That looked like a better option than what I'm using but I just didn't want to invest any more in to it. Really the main dislike was comfort.

19. Oly44

Oly44 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That’s a nice setup. I would practice at ground level at home and try and fine tune it. Little adjustments make a big difference. It might take a little bit find what works for you.

Is it hip pinch or something else you’re having issues with?

20. pastorjim08

Dislikes Received:
    Mainly back issues. The Cruzr is pleated so there's adjustment for your lower back. But my upper back was really hurting after about an hour. I don't have a back band but that may be something I need to look at if I keep it.