Tree saddle hunting...

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by mikerock85, Jun 25, 2014.

1. Tink-a-Link

Tink-a-Link Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Glad it was a worthwhile use of your time. I've got those binos as well. I had to pay for mine though. They are very nice! Congrats on the win. What were two or three things that were the main takeaways? I imagine there are those, like myself, that could use a few extra tips prior to opening day in the saddle for the first time.
    I spent some time doing a little recon this morning (as well as a memory card pull) and discovered three shooters. The main guy is the one below!
    I got within about 20 yards of this beast last year, but he was on the other side of the tree line, so I wasn't able to get a shot on him. Hopefully this will be the year! I believe the mobility of the saddle will help tremendously.[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Oly44 likes this.
  2. Oly44

Oly44 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Right. I usually don’t either. But that was a solid week. I ended up winning some decoys at a DU banquet too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LittleChief likes this.
  3. Oly44

Oly44 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The biggest things for me since this is my first year in a saddle were super simple that you don’t really see in videos.

One being using a knee to help stabilize yourself. Something that makes total sense but I didn’t think of it at all. The other thing that kinda goes along with that is just rotating your hips when moving around the tree. I would kind of just push my self around the tree with no real thought or purpose but simple movements of the hips in either direction can get you into a better position for whatever situation you might be in

4. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Check your local regs, some places it is illegal on public land. I can see how that would be the fastest way to do it once well-practiced. Not legal to my knowledge in most places I hunt.

5. Oly44

Oly44 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I was just checking the regs in WI. Because I thought about that climbing method. It specially says what’s included for damage to the tree and doesn’t mention climbing spurs. But you are able to trim small branches now. Which I think is super helpful. [​IMG]

6. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Correct, the only advantage is weight. My modded open shot climber platform weighs a few ounces over 5 pounds. The open shot complete weighs 15 pounds. The weight factor is the only reason why I switched. It makes getting 2 plus miles deep possible for me.

LittleChief likes this.
  7. Oly44

Oly44 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Have you thought about a different platform or ring of steps? I feel you’re limiting yourself on a big part of saddle hunting by having the climber base still. Which is being able to setup pretty much in any tree.

8. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I hunt in the northeast, where straight maple and oak trees are found everywhere. I have considered it, but, my method worked flawlessly last year and I see zero reasons to change for my given situation. I have a shorty LW stick with a 2 step aider and a small platform. So much more work. My platform/climbing method also triples as a spot to secure my cold-weather gear which allows me to wear a waist pack in place of a backpack.

Oly44 likes this.
  9. Oly44

Oly44 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Makes sense. Whatever works best for you. If you ever want to get rid of that shirt LW stick hit me up. Ive thought about one sticking but I’m going to get through this season and see how I like my current setup. Lol

Swamp Stalker likes this.
  10. cantexian

Dislikes Received:
    Made a two-step amsteel aider this evening. Not sure if I will just fix it to my bottom step or use paracord to make it moveable. I will have to practice with it to see. Leaning towards just using it on the bottom stick but not sure yet.

Attached Files:

Wedes, Swamp Stalker and pastorjim08 like this.
  11. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    When I tryed it, it definitely can be tricky. If you don't keep your feet under your center of gravity, feels like it will kick out fast. I was also thinking of making another one to just put on my bottom stick.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

12. Oly44

Oly44 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah I’ve heard that. Been hesitant to try them. Heard it really helps if you dig your toe into the tree as well to help from kicking out.

I have short legs so I’ll probably stick to my lone wolf sticks. If anything I’d put one on my bottom step to help get a a little more to start but then I don’t have to worry about the hassle at higher heights.

cantexian likes this.
  13. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yes what I do is keep 2 hands on the stick and dig your toe into the tree. But that's the easy part of going up. The hard part is when your coming down, especially in the dark. Very easy to lose balance and also just finding the step with your toe. I also had the wind blow them, making them hard to find. For that reason I stuck with the single step aider.

14. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Have you guys tried the cable aiders? I would think they would be a bit more stable.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

15. cantexian

Dislikes Received:
    I agree with you on the stable part with cable aiders but I have not tried them. It would be almost $100 to put a cable aider on each of my sticks. I can't justify that kind of money. I could almost buy another set of sticks at that price.

I will try it on a tree tonight, but, based on measuring, even if I just leave it on the bottom stick. This aider should get me to almost 8 feet on the first stick. That is assuming I can reach high enough to tighten the strap at that height. Curse my T-Rex arms.

[​IMG]

16. S.McArthur

S.McArthur Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I've been using a cinching strap you get from the typical climbing sticks. 2 roll up and fit in the tethrd sys hauler side pouch, adjustable and do pretty well staying flat and gives a decent footing. It's worked for me, I only use one to get off the ground but it gets me a few extra feet; it does help being tall. Keeping your toe into the tree is key.

17. cantexian

Dislikes Received:
    I used mil-spec climbing straps for a single-step aider on each of my old sticks. I may go back to that if I do not like the amsteel aider. It worked decently, but I had them too long for my legs.

18. alenhard15

alenhard15 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    15 days till MD is open, have the wild edge stepps, and just picked up the XOP ultra double sticks and ordered a double moveable aider, looking forward to testing that out, the sticks are awesome! 65160139261__C80F9474-B855-46C3-8BD0-6C70E7B91EF5.JPG

Holt and cantexian like this.
  19. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Dang Adam, you went all in this year! First year is the hardest to get it all dialed in, then like second nature after that. Remember if you need a hand with a deer, just give me a call.

cantexian and alenhard15 like this.
  20. cantexian

Dislikes Received:
    The Amsteel aider I made will need some tweaking before I use it on a tree. As I guessed, it lets me get my top stick on the first stick to 8 feet, maybe a little higher if I stretch. However, the amsteel has more give to it than climbing straps that I have used to make aiders on other sticks. It handled my weight just fine, but, the second step closed to the point that I could not get my foot it, making it useless. I was using some heat-shrink rubber for wire splicing to space the steps. Clearly, that was not up to the task. I am going to stop by autozone this weekend or on my way home today and see if some automotive hose will be a little sturdier.