Tree Climbing Safety

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by muzzyman88, Jan 5, 2022.

1. Z9_MA

Z9_MA Newb

Dislikes Received:

muzzyman88 - sounds like a plan man. Not in the cards for me right now so dealing with the hand dealt. One sticking by far has a lot of advantages: 1. Light weight, 2. Unlimited height, 3. Safety - always connected. I have also heard of some folks rappelling down while using sticks. The guy in the video and someone else I was just emailing with. Your gonna luv it!

2. muzzyman88

muzzyman88 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah, I hope I do. My big reason for going straight to this method is weight savings and to some degree, simplicity. I have always been, since I was a kid, leery of sticks because I once didn't hook one stick up right in the dark and when I put weight on it, it came loose and fell to the ground. Thankfully it was only the second stick up the tree, but it scared the bajeezus out of me. I figure having to only hook one rope up, do it right once at the base of the tree and you're safe and being in a comfortable, complete control position to move the one stick up adds to it. Of course I know I have to hook the one stick up properly several times up the tree, but in my head anyway... it just seems better for me.. lol. Time will tell. May love it, may hate it, but I will give it a solid, honest try for a while this spring/summer.

3. JPG

JPG Newb

Dislikes Received:
    One sticking works well in the same types of trees that are good for climbers. People still usually use a lineman’s when going around limbs. Trees that have rough bark or lots of limbs suck because it’s harder to advance a tether up a tree than a lineman’s. Leaning trees are difficult. Some people put handles of some kind on their tether because you can crush your fingers if you fall while your moving it up the tree and your fingers are inside it.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

muzzyman88 likes this.