Tree “decoy”

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Benny_Bucks, Sep 6, 2019.

1. Benny_Bucks

Benny_Bucks Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I’ve been doing a little bit of thinking and may give one of these a try. I’ve had a couple friends stick them out and deer seem to like them. Does anyone have a specific brand that they have used that works well?

Edit: Or, can I make my own using a post and somehow attaching a licking branch?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. hillrunner

hillrunner Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Why would you buy anything? I like Willow trees myself. I cut a decent sized branch down, dig a hole where I want it. I like to water the hole to help keep the tree green. I beat the tree up a little bit with a shovel to give them a visual and get the smell out. They hammer the heck out of them. Screenshot_20181110-062021.png Screenshot_20181102-150212.png

Okiebob and Benny_Bucks like this.
  3. airenlow

airenlow Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If you watered it enough, those willows might actually put down roots...

4. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have been doing that for at least 10 years with great success. I have always cut down a cedar tree and cut nearly all the limbs off except one or two towards the top of one side so you can make a scrape under it. I stick it a couple feet in the ground and tamp it in and then scrape most of the bark off. Last step is to add a little forehead gland lure and some scent in the mock scrape. I have had deer hit them the very first day on most years.

5. henson59

henson59 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    If you are going to cut a branch or sapling make sure it is one the deer in your area will typically use to rub or make a scrape with. I made this mistake the first year I tried it and hardly had any deer pay attention to it.