Transporting lime

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by DriveTacks, Mar 9, 2016.

1. DriveTacks

DriveTacks Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Looking for some input on transporting Ag lime from the quarry to our property. I cant get a Dump truck or semi to any of my plots or even close, but I can get our 30 horse tractor and 5 ton Dump trailer to atleast a couple of them. So my question is, If I have my trailer filled and I tarp it, then drive an hour and a half to the property am I going to lose half of the lime from blowing out and piss off the driver of every vehicle behind me as well? I bought a half ton of pelletized lime last year, but my plots need more lime and I haven't found a good option for getting it there. Liquid is my other option but research shows im still better off with ag lime.
    thanks

2. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You won't lose that much. Especially if you tarp it. I bet you won't even lose a couple percent of what you haul

3. remmett70

remmett70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    When I have hauled dirt or anything similar on trailer, I use a huge tarp that running the excess over the front end of the trailer, and have whatever dumped on top of the tarp. Than double the tarp back over the top I weight all the edges down with concrete blocks and strap over the top. Keeps almost all wind off from the load.

4. Daryl Bell

Daryl Bell Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Peletized Dolomitic lime is the best lime you can use, IMO. It is full of Calcium and Magnesium and won't bust the budget.
    Getting it put on the trailer and tarping it should be fine for hauling it. I don't think you will lose much.

5. foodplot19

foodplot19 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Not sure how high the sides are on your dump trailer but a 5 ton dump trailer won't be very full. Lime is pretty heavy, especially with any moisture in it. If you tarp it you should be fine. JMO

6. DriveTacks

DriveTacks Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Sides are probably 30" and then we have another 24" of plywood "walls" that extend above that I would say. I didn't plan on filling it to the top of the actual trailer itself. Maybe a tarp right tight to the lime with concrete blocks holding it down and then another over the top of the plywood extensions? It's a pretty long haul from the quarry, on 50-60mph roads for the most part. Not so much worried about losing a little as I am plastering cars with the dust going down the road. Sounds like I'm still over thinking it though?

7. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    A tarp held down with blocks will be fine.
    You won't be loading it over or even close to your plywood sideboards so you that will work.