Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Training My Dog To Shed Hunt

Discussion in 'Shed Hunting' started by Wired To Hunt, Feb 20, 2012.

1. Wired To Hunt

Wired To Hunt Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Over the past couple years I've really been getting into shed hunting, and had been reading a lot about training a dog to find antlers. Several years later I've got my own dog that I've been training to shed hunt and I figured I'd return the favor and share my tips with others! I've written an article, highlighting our training process so far, and tips for how to train your own dog.

You can read this article and see pics of my shed dog "Booner" here if you're interested - Training My Dog To Shed Hunt – Tips and Strategies for Training A Dog To Find Shed Antlers

And if anyone has questions about training your dog, feel free to ask me here! I've talked to a number of "professional" trainers, read a lot on the topic, and have been doing this for about a year now. So hopefully I can share a helpful tip or two!

2. Illinoishunter102

Illinoishunter102 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I just read the article- Nice work! I have been thinking about training my dog to find sheds. I also went ahead and checked out some of your videos, they look awesome! What camera do you use if you dont mind me asking?

3. Wired To Hunt

Wired To Hunt Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks IllinoisHunter! We use primarily two cameras for those videos. For most the hunting footage we use a Canon Vixia HF S100, and then the "studio interviews" and some of the close up scenery stuff is taken with my Canon 60D. Let me know if you have any other questions!

4. Illinoishunter102

Illinoishunter102 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I do have one more question for ya, I was looking to purchase either the Canon Vixia HF S100, or the Canon Vixia HF S30... Whats the difference between the two and which one would you recommend for outdoor filming? Thanks!

5. Outdrdave

Outdrdave Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    good stuff.