Trail Camera Height??

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Flatstatehunter, Jul 17, 2017.

1. Flatstatehunter

Flatstatehunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The beginning of this year I went to one of the only private places I have permission to hunt with the notion of pulling my camera down I had been running there for 6 months, only to find it had been stolen. The area was close to a local party area for college kids and I assume they had trespassed and seen the camera and took it based on previous trash we have seen dumped on the property. Landowner felt bad ad offered to buy a new one but I insisted he purchase gates and let me spend a weekend putting them up.

Sorry for the long back story. I just got a new camera up but mounted it at 11 foot to hopefully discourage theft.

Can anyone provide pictures that were taken with a setup like mine (high placement in narrow path about 15 yards wide)?

2. alfarah50

alfarah50 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I placed my cameras up high this year and I am happy so far. Below are a few pics of a cell cam over a scrape that gets vistited frequently. The cam wont send HD pics to my phone, I can only view HD pics once I pull the card but as far as pic quality goes I am happy. I get a wider and larger field of view by setting the cam high (10ft) on a downward angle. You may not be able to count every point but you def can see where they are coming from and going to this way. 7-15 ACE AT SCRAPE.png 7-15 ace at scrapeee.png 7-15 ace scrapee.png

3. Flatstatehunter

Dislikes Received:
    @alfarah50 I appreciate the pics they look good. I'm not to worried about about counting points but monitoring deer traffic like you said. How far is the bait pile from the tree you have the camera in?

4. alfarah50

alfarah50 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    About 5-6 yards

5. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    11 foot is pretty high up - great for deterring theft but your photos won't look quite as good as the examples posted.

My guess is yours are going to look more like this.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Flatstatehunter

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks @Justin, that is what I was expecting being that I have it located on a narrow two track headed out into a field. As long as it's getting pics of what's walking through there, deer or human lol, I'll be happy.

7. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I know the feeling! I would take a single climbing stick in and out of the woods with me to check this camera. I had two cams stolen that year and was hoping to catch the person doing it. I did capture a person or two on camera, but could never identify them. Part of the issue with having it so high up is that if they're wearing a hat you can't really see their face. Catch 22 of keeping your cameras safe I guess.

copperhead likes this.
  8. Flatstatehunter

Dislikes Received:
    Yes I agree that is a downside. In our experience so far it's primarily people driving in to the property but now that we have gated both entrances we have seen almost no sign of people on it that have no permission. I actually just bought a set of cheap sectional climbing sticks and will be using them to check cams that I will be placing high on public. Did you ever get pics of people looking up at the camera?

9. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Never had a pic of a single person looking at a camera that I've had more than 10 feet off the ground. I've gotten pics of probably half dozen people so far.

10. Flatstatehunter

Dislikes Received:
    That is what I'm hoping for. Just want the cam less noticeable to people with sticky fingers. On the cams you had stolen did you have a python lock on them?

11. Arkyinks

Arkyinks Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I set my cameras on public land at about 12 ft. Not lost one in 5 years. I put them on with torx screws and hide them the best I can.

12. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I've had both cameras and stands stolen with Python locks on them. They aren't very sturdy - couple whacks from a hammer and you can bust that aluminum housing no problem. I've had others cut as well. One time I lost the key for one of my Pythons and was able to cut through the wire in about 20 seconds with a standard pair of side cutters.

Personally I have given up locking my cameras - hiding them is more effective. And if I'm going to lock a stand it better be a heck of a heavy duty lock. I'm not wasting my time with Pythons anymore.

13. Flatstatehunter

Dislikes Received:
    @Justin I had a feeling they wouldn't be very hard to get through looking at them when my order came in.

14. greatwhitehunter3

greatwhitehunter3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Most of my cameras are set about as high as I can reach using one climbing stick.

15. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I hang all mine 10-12 feet high because of thieves. Makes for some cool pics. I bought a lightweight ladder from Wally World that I keep in the truck when I go to check them.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2017
  16. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Most the time I just find my SD card missing which I'm guessing is trespassers, A. Not wanting to be identified and B. Stealing my recon. I guess it's better than them stealing the whole ball of wax but geez. They're pretty ineffective without the card! I finally left a note. It was more of a "I'm a pay check to paycheck average joe please don't steal my stuff" guilt trip kinda note. And since then nothing has been messed with. :tu:

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums