Trail camera hardiness

Discussion in 'Trail Cameras' started by CoveyMaster, Aug 18, 2017.

1. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    NOTICE:
    In my review of the Blazevid cameras I said they appear to be no glow leds because they are black, I was wrong...I looked at them in the dark last night and they do glow red. I pulled those cards this morning and I don't notice any problems with them spooking deer but it should be noted they do glow. Sorry for the mistake.

On the bright side, the pics still looked good this morning overall. There is some blur in some of the night pics but I had almost 500 pics of deer on it and the instances of blur didn't seem any worse than the Truth Cam 02 I had last year and I considered it very serviceable.

The stealthcam G42ng I had above it is still a far far better camera, better all around pics and aspect ratio. My problem with them is that this one is now not taking night pics, the plastic cover on the sensor is cracked. This is yet another G42 that is suffering an early death. Their survival being out year around isn't running very good in my opinion. This one isn't all that old, a bit over a year.

foodplot19 likes this.
  2. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds like these Blazevid guys are solid for the price to boot...be curious to see how they are performing in the cold winter and then on through the summer heat next year. Perhaps going to grab a couple myself.

3. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    They seem good...for the price. I'm delighted with the day pics for sure and their functionality. The night pics are very so so compared to the Stealth Cams but that's a pretty high mark to meet for a $69 camera. I was really hoping to find a cheapo with expensive performance but I knew that was a very long shot. I'm happy with what I got for the money. Will I buy more? Not likely but I would if I decided I needed more to fill this sort of niche. I have four of these and I don't know that I need more of them. That's enough for back ups or a quick and cheap exploratory set for me.

If I buy any more cheapos, it'll probably be something else just for adventure and in hopes I can find a real gem. These are kind of like really nice quartz, lol.

tynimiller and foodplot19 like this.
  4. foodplot19

foodplot19 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I just purchased one of the Apeman trail cameras for $59.99. Should be here next week.

CoveyMaster likes this.
  5. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    Excited to see what you get with it. I was originally going to try four different cheapies but I liked the Blazevideo's and the only way I could get one very soon was to order a four pack so that's what I went with. Was going to try several and order more of the best one if it was comparable to the SC G42's.

foodplot19 likes this.
  6. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    PTDC0009.JPG PTDC0057.JPG PTDC0107.JPG First pics from my new Radix!
    Nice pics! They are a little on the dark side but not enough to complain about. The night pics are decent, better than my cheapy Blazevid (I would hope). I do see a little motion blur in some of the night pics but not enough to complain about, overall they are a lot better night pics than the cheapy obviously.
    As per my other rating chart, I'd give these an 8.25/10. Basically right up there with the Stealth Cam G42s...partially because I prefer the wider aspect ratio of the G42...of course those are slowly dying so...

I certainly wouldn't have any problems buying more of the Radix or recommending them. The closest thing I have to compare it to is the G42's. Of course they are a much smaller camera than the G42 and I like that about them.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2017
    early in, boonerville and foodplot19 like this.
  7. blinginpse

blinginpse Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Browning dark ops Elite hd cams hammer out pics but audio sucks for video. Browning reckon force extreme is killer but has some night blur. Spec ops extreme is just unreal. I have 12 Brownings well 11 now somebody axed 1 and broke the lags off just to get it. Either caught them up to no good or they reallllllly wanted it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. foodplot19

Dislikes Received:
    That sucks! :rant:

9. foodplot19

Dislikes Received:
    The one part I liked about the Radix is the fact that the IR wasn't too quick to come on during twilight.

CoveyMaster likes this.
  10. davglo35

davglo35 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I had 3 covert mp6s and one was stolen. Very nice little camera. Very dependable battery life is good. I bought a cuddeback capture about 8 years ago and it still works and the color night pics are nice. I just got a Browning strike force hd pro and put it out yesterday. Very small camera and trailcampro reviews are great. My first Browning. The cuddeback capture is long gone and is now a dinosaur but it still is a great camera. Cuddeback customer service was horrible the last time I tried to use it. Had a couple new older models and they both didn't last a month. Ended up in file 13. I bought a few of the Hunten flash cameras a few years ago and they worked for a few months but the battery life was horrendous. 2 hundred pics and batteries were dead every time. I would say for the money and dependability the covert mp6s are work horses. Hope the Browning strike force hd pro cams are as good as the claim. I'm looking for a new work horse.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2017
  11. chieffan

chieffan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    A lot about camera choice is what quality of photo do you want/need. If I want a top quality picture I will used my Cannon digital EOS. For a game camera, as long as the photo is of a good enough quality I can tell what it is with no problem, that is all I am asking. Rather than buy a $130 game camera I would catch a sale and buy 3 less expensive units. I have run Wildlife Innovations and very happy with them. Good day and night photos and batteries last a year or more. I don't leave them out all year as I see no need to. Going to pick up a new one tomorrow as one model is on sale for $40, about half price. My 10+ yo Moultre finally died. Been running it off a 6 V Moped battery for the last couple years. Other than looking like an 5 buckle overshoe hanging on a tree it took good photos.

12. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I couldn't agree more. I admit though, I like to have a good quality pic when I share them with other people. I think a good quality pic makes you feel like it's worth all the effort involved in maintaining them. jmo