Trail camera hardiness

Discussion in 'Trail Cameras' started by CoveyMaster, Aug 18, 2017.

1. EMT2K17

EMT2K17 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Would you say get a newer one and see how it goes so i got something else out there?

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

2. vermontwhitetail

vermontwhitetail Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I used to use Moultrie but they started failing, especially the newer versions. I switched to Wild Game Innovations and have had the same $80 cameras out for several years now with no issues. Very happy with the quality of the WGI cameras.

3. bowhtr1

bowhtr1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I would look for a Bushnell E2 or a Browning strike force elite for pictures. Both can be bought under 100 dollars.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

EMT2K17 likes this.
  4. blackbear

blackbear Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    You know I have several different kinds, totally agree the newer moultrie let me down, you may like the wild game are not bad for the price, my new ones are taking great pics.

Sent from my iPad using Bowhunting.com Forums

5. bowhtr1

bowhtr1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I would never support the WGI poachers.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

6. Trevor TFO

Trevor TFO Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Checkout the Radix cameras, between me and my buddy we have 3 and we love them. They are a bit challenging to set up the first time but once you get used to it they are awesome!

7. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I actually ordered one this morning. They definitely aren't a "cheap" option but I'm looking forward to having a quality camera. I like a lot of the features on them.

foodplot19 likes this.
  8. Me53

Me53 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I can second that. I had seen it in the reviews...but figured there are always a couple bad reviews. They are pretty fuzzy during daylight hours.

Sent from my XT1254 using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

9. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have been buying Exodus cams. 5 Year NO BS Warranty and 50% off on camera theft! They are a little pricier then a lot of cameras. Remember to register them if you buy'm! I think last years model is like $185 and this years model is around $230. You can typically find a 20% off coupon if you poke around or know the right peeps!

10. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry, that doesn't make sense to me. I'm not shelling out $2300 for under a dozen cameras that are about the same tier camera as every other mid priced cam on the market. I appreciate what they are trying to do but it's just not realistic. For one thing, the way these companies come and go, there's little assurance there will be any coverage in five years if the company dissipates. If that were to happen then you basically paid double for an average quality camera.

11. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Indeed, that is true about any company. I have a tendency to navigate to smaller / starter type companies that are willing to try to change the industry. I had my fill of Coverts and several other brands mentioned in this thread. The only cameras I have not tried is the Brownings.

The failure rates on my previous cameras between 1-2 years old was ridiculous. That gets hard to stomach after awhile.

The 5 year warranty on Exodus cams will either make or break them.... The only complaint I had with their Gen 1 cam was battery life and the fade to blue on the external case . Gen II seems to be much better so far.

I was spending on average between $150 & $200 on other cameras. It wasn't hard for me to justify the move.

However I could see that if you were going to run a lot of them it would be hard to stomach. I just try to buy a few every year so it doesn't hurt so bad.

CoveyMaster likes this.
  12. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I've had one Covert Mpe5 up on the same tree in the same spot for so long the strap broke this year...replaced the strap with a new one and the thing is still going.

If I buy cameras today it is either Radix or Covert. Radix in a short time has my attention for seemingly quality of build, the CS has been excellent in answering questions as brand new company and the quality has been top notch IMO. $160 basically with a 2 year warranty (no shipping charge) for their PS models. Cannot speak to the new Gen500 I pre-ordered as not delivered yet.

IF I were to state what I feel is the most reliable camera (Radix is too new to hold this spot) I've had in my fleet as far as trusting it to take pictures and last through all season long (multiple seasons to boot) and not cost over or around $150 it is the Covert MP8 (not a huge fan of the MP8 Black). Things are "cheap" relatively speaking, take solid (not AMAZING pictures), dependable and don't suck batteries out of you. Not too mention their display and settings are streamlined with a screen that even my pops has no problem setting. Go even more basic (3 settings only) the Mpe6 have rocked my set ups for going on 2 to 3 years now as well and haven't missed a beat and are full MSRP right at $105.

CoveyMaster likes this.
  13. Siman/OH

Siman/OH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Ive been impressed by the Bushnell Essentials E2 and E3 over the last few years. I have about half a dozen now and they have amazing trigger speed and image quality, and pretty good battery life. The case design hasn't given me any problems either (One big latch, less apt to fail). For a new camera you cant beat them IMO. And with the D!ICKS Sporting Goods trade in they only cost me $70.

Now if were talking all time greats...any true cammer knows the 2012 Coverts were untouchable. I have two left, a Red 40 and an MP6. Both have been submerged under water multiple times, one has a busted latch, the other was shot with a shotgun (rednecked a new lens into it) and they both still perform like they did on day 1. They've easily taken over 100K pictures apiece.

14. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:

Ah..the 2012 Red40....my favorite camera in my entire line up! Arguably the best camera in the last 10 years IMO.

CoveyMaster likes this.
  15. remmett70

remmett70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I only have 4 in the field and have pretty much bought what was on sale at the time, oldest is a Moultrie 550, isn't the quickest and doesn't take the best night pictures, I just make sure it is positioned on a trail where it will pretty much not get fast moving crossing deer. Have a G30, works pretty well, only issue I had is that the night pictures are to bright, so I taped off about 6-8 of the LEDs. Have a Cuddeback and have had no operation problems, takes good pictures, good battery life, Not a fan of the battery compartment or SD compartments. Do like the separate mount. Last is a Stealth Px26NG been out since jan/Feb without any problems. Seems to take decent pictures and hasn't washed out night pictures like the G30 did.

CoveyMaster likes this.
  16. foodplot19

foodplot19 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've had one of the Radix in the field for about a month. I'm impressed with the pic's I've been getting. They are nice and small.

CoveyMaster likes this.
  17. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    Cheapy off brand cameras arrived today. I set one up, pics look good as long as they're still but looks like they'll be a lot of motion blur even in daylight. They are also the short aspect ratio. I haven't tried all four, as long as they all work I'll likely keep them and use them but they don't appear to be something I'd recommend. I'll have to set them out to know a lot more and I'll do that this afternoon, at least one or so.

Shame because I was very impressed with them straight out of the box. Build quality is really decent. If they all work, they seem decent but if they have a crap load of motion blur, that's not very acceptable. No idea on night pics yet but I'll set one up here at home this afternoon on my feeder and check it tomorrow. I already got more than I expected for the cost. Cameras are decent, nice packaging, very nice strap and a couple of cables of some sort (usb and AV?). I really like them for the most part if the motion blur isn't an issue and they take decent night pics but big ifs so far.

Update tomorrow.

Anxiously awaiting the Radix!

tynimiller likes this.
  18. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Which Radix model did you nab or did I miss that in the thread?

19. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    I got a black PS-1, at the time it was showing the camo's out of stock.

tynimiller and foodplot19 like this.
  20. wewilley

wewilley Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    i have had the PS1 for 6 weeks the day pictures are good night are weak on the flash but then only 4 batterys and some blur