Trail Cam Battery Life

Discussion in 'Trail Cameras' started by Jeremy/PA, Nov 17, 2020.

1. Jeremy/PA

Jeremy/PA Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Understanding that all cameras, batteries and peoples conditions are different, how long have you had a fresh set of batteries last in a camera?

Thanks!

2. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    There are a lot of variables, such as the different brands of cameras, weather, how many exposures, and etc. Having said that, I've had some cameras that would do a year on rechargeables. Not all my cameras will do that but I have one that will. It would not be unreasonable to expect at least one year on about any camera with a set of lithiums.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Wop 75 and Jeremy/PA like this.
  3. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    We'll, I have a Covert and a Browning Strike Force. They've been in the woods since July 4th, and both still have 100% battery. I put 8 Duracell AA's in each cam.

Jeremy/PA likes this.
  4. Jeremy/PA

Jeremy/PA Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    That's awesome!

5. Cannon06

Cannon06 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Lithiums last a very long time. Especially if the camera is working properly and only taking pictures of game movement and not the grass or sunlight changes.

Jeremy/PA likes this.
  6. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Vastly too many variables....number of photos if on burst, video or picture mode, recording audio or no, on a plot or travel through location, model of camera....

Also depends if cheap alkalines, good alkalines or lithiums are in them.....

I get anywhere from 3 months to a full year depending on settings and batteries.

7. Mod-it

Mod-it Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I greatly miss the older cams that took bigger batteries. AA's suck. No lasting ability and just flat quit working when it gets cold. I like to leave a cam out after whitetail season to see what bucks survived and often see the cams "dead" when I retrieve them in late December. Once home and warmed up they suddenly have juice again. Tried lithiums once, they definitely lasted longer but also quit working in the cold. I was really hoping they'd at least work in the cold. All those AA's are also more prone to losing connection if the cam is bumped around. I feel going to AA's was the biggest mistake cam manufacturers ever made.

Far and away my best cam ever was my old Moultree 550, would easily go a year, and I even used it on a bear bait in the spring. My bear bait attracts crows like you wouldn't believe and results in the camera being triggered all day long. Every 3 days when I put in more bait I'd have around 2000 pics...about 75 were actually of bears. I could leave the same batteries in it and finish out into early winter with it. It took 6 "C" batteries. Perfect sensor setup, it hardly ever took blanks. Did really well in the cold too. I say "did" because a bear finally found it a little too curious and that was its demise. It still turns on and acts like it will work, but never takes any pictures. Probably something to do with the tooth hole in the sensor screen.

I have a POS Primos (Bushnell) stealth cam that takes 8 AA batteries. I get about 6-8 months out of it. It takes a pic if a mosquito passes gas within 200 yards. It lasts two weeks if I put it on the bear bait...which I do often now that the Moultree is toast, I keep hoping a bear will do me a solid and take an interest in it.
    I recently picked up a Stealth cam, don't have any experience with it yet. Just put it out last weekend. It also takes 8 AA's, I'll find out soon how it does in the cold. It seems to be better for not losing connection if jostled around, but my Primos started out that way too. We'll see what a few months in the sun does.

So I guess I'm trying to say you can expect 6-8 months out of cams that take AA's, but not if it gets very cold or the camera has the sensitivity that my Primos cam does.

8. FredBear

FredBear Newb

Dislikes Received:
    The Browning’s I have seem to go a minimum of 6-8 months. I only use Lithium batts, way better than alkaline. The Spypoint Link-S I have has a built in solar panel on it and I’ve literally not taken it out of the woods in at least a couple years now, been a very impressive system (although photo quality is very avg). Bought a spypoint link Evo this summer and put it up in July, still says batt life is good so it appears to be at least a 6 month batt life and time will tell just how much longer that it goes.

180Camden likes this.
  9. mhouck06

mhouck06 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I can usually get 8 months no problem out of mine on a variety of cameras running 8 AAs. Just put some lithiums in my Reveals. First time ever running lithium so Ill be interested to see how that goes.

10. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I get 2-3 months out of my cuddy back that takes pics then 20 second video.
    4-5 out of my strike force with 3 burst and 10 wait
    5-6 out of my primos on 3 burst

11. 0317

0317 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I run pics only on my Brownings and older Moultries... I get easily 6+ months, and that includes cold weather ... I use lithium batteries only ....

Last edited: Dec 10, 2020
  12. The Mayor

The Mayor Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I have 1 that keeps on over 12 months. Covert red 60, the red 40 easy 9 months. After the season, I leave them in the woods from feb. to late nov without checking them. Batteries are still good, maybe 2 bars each. 1000's of pics on the sd cards. Matter of fact, I didn't change batteries on 1, they're the same batteries from last year, 11+ months now.

13. pick00l

pick00l Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I run Bushnell's. I change the 8 AA's once a year. They stay out 365.