Traditional Guru's

Discussion in 'Traditional Archery' started by Schultzy, Feb 17, 2009.

1. Schultzy

Schultzy Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm going to be Increasing my total arrow weight a good bit here real shortly. My FOC Is also going to get much higher due to taking some advice from Russ (Kanga) and a few others. I'm not going to quit shooting Snuffers but Instead I'm going to shoot a bigger and heavier Snuffer. I want to go with the the 185 grain screw on model broadhead Instead of the 125 grain screw on that I use now. Is my FOC going to Increase a good bit from this or am I going to have to add some weight? Also, where the heck do ya find 185 grain screw on heads? One more question, what's the difference from the XX75's and the XX78's?

My current set up Is-

Arrows- Easton XX75 2216 4" 4 fletched arrows cut at 31"
    Broadheads- 125 grain 3 Blade Magnus Snuffers
    Total arrow weight Including the BH- 561 grains
    FOC- 7%

I'm pulling 61lbs with my recurve that I've hunted with forever but It might not be around anymore. Either way I'm buying another recurve and I'm going with something In that 65lb to 70lb range. I'm thinking both bows should be able to shoot the same arrow set up just fine being my recurve use to be at 73lbs at my draw length.

2. Txjourneyman

Txjourneyman Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Shultzy, I thought you were a trad guru!:deer:

3. BowHuntingFool

BowHuntingFool Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Steve, just curious, why don't you try carbon arrows, say a Heritage 250 or 350??

Are you moving up to the heavier snuffer for the bigger cutting diameter?

Would it be easier to add 100gr brass insert to bump you weight up in the front and still use your current Snuffers?

4. Schultzy

Dislikes Received:
    By adding a heavier broadhead I figure I'll Increase my FOC and up my percentages on 100% penetration. All I'm trying to do here Jeff Is make my set up that much better then It Is. I've never really got Into the tech side of this stuff so I never realized some of this stuff that I'm finding out. Funny thing Is I've never really had an Issue before but I don't want to have a reason to have an Issue either.:d

No doubt It's going to go up but my question Is will my FOC go up enough. That's what I want to know. I want my FOC In that 15% to 20% range. Right now It's a low 7%.:mad1:

I've thought about that too, I could shave off an Inch or so which may help some. I've got about 3 Inches of extra arrow to work with here that sticks past my riser when drawed back.

Not backwards Jeff, your right on with the last 2 numbers meaning the thickness of the arrow. The 1st 2 numbers are the diameter of the arrow.

Thanks for your Info Jeff.

5. Schultzy

Dislikes Received:
    I'm always learning Greg, specially on the tech side of this stuff! I lack a little there.:d

6. Schultzy

Dislikes Received:
    1st of all I don't know jack about tuning a carbon arrow. 2nd of all, all the the carbon arrows I've seen after they pass through a animal never seem to have much blood or evidence on them for Inspecting an arrow wondering where It's hit. I love arrow evidence.

7. BowHuntingFool

Dislikes Received:
    Steve remember, if you cut your arrows your spine gets stiffer and you loose weight as well. Would it makes sense to go with a long heavier spine arrow with a heavy weight insert and and heavy tip weight to get your spine in tune? Hell then your arrows will be the weight your going after!

8. Kanga

Kanga Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Steve.

As mention by others on the other site.

Going to high FOC with Alumns is going to be a nighmare.

In all honesty you would be better off switching to carbons and adding the brass insert and use your current head.

By doing it that way you can get your FOC right up there and have great arrow flight and some real thump upon impact:ninja:

9. Schultzy

Dislikes Received:
    Jeff, my draw length Is 28". It's not long by any means.

10. Schultzy

Dislikes Received:
    Well I'm going to go against the grain here and go with a heavier Snuffer and also add some weights to It. If It don't work, It don't work. At least I tried. If that route doesn't work out I guess I might have to look Into carbons for the 1st time ever- I can't believe I said that!!;)

11. Schultzy

Dislikes Received:
    I'm going to go with a bigger cutting diameter Snuffer also (1 15/32). If this set up works I might be sending them your way. I'm going to ask my brother and dad If they want them 1st and If not there yours.

12. woodsman

woodsman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've been experimenting with carbon arrows for a while now. Try to get some you can shoot and test with your set-up. I had quite a time getting the arrow flight I expected out of my hunting arrows. They seemed to fly well but in windy conditions they turned to crap, turns out they were quite alot stiffer than they were supposed to be.. Some 60-70# tested at 87# and some 45-60# were 85#.. After some experimenting I found that Gold-Tip 35-55# spine tested to a 57# spine.

I'm shooting the GT 35-55# spine with 200 grain field points and 250 grain field points (testing both weights). Hunting arrows are 125 grain steel broadhead adapters with Zwicky Delta two blade 135 grain broadhead. The 265 grains up front makes better arrow flight and seems to improve the penetration.

Kustom King and 3rivers Archery both carry the heavier field points and the steel broadhead adapters plus there's brass inserts you use also.
    I not tried the weight tubes that go inside the shaft.

I found the carbons could be found on sale from time to time at very competitive price's. I really hated the carbons at first but once I got the weight up where I wanted it the flight improved greatly for me.

woodsman

13. Schultzy

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the Info Woodsman!!

14. rybo

rybo Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm always heard trying to load the front end for aluminums was a very difficult undertaking. I've never personally tried it.

Tuning carbons is not that tough, as long as you don't start out way overspined.

Are you keeping your old 2216's & just adding weight to them? You'll likely have to cut them some. 31" long may be too weak spined.

15. BowHuntingFool

Dislikes Received:
    Jeff, I tried for an hour on the phone yesterday to get him to go carbon, he's old school!...lol.... :cool:

16. Schultzy

Dislikes Received:
    I'm going to try and shoot my 2216's at 31" and If that don't work I'll start trimming and experimenting. We'll see what happens I guess. The guys over at Trad Gang say It's not Impossible to do.

17. Schultzy

Dislikes Received:
    Well I ordered everything this morning. I went with 160 grain glue on Snuffers and aluminum adapters that weigh 43 grains. I'll have 203 grains total of broadhead weight compared to 125 grains before. I wanted to go heavier but I thought I'd go this route 1st. If It works out well I'll order some steel 100 grain adapters and up the weight some more to see If this works.

I know It Joe, I'm too damn old school sometimes!!:d

18. Kanga

Kanga Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Glad I looked at this again I was gonna call Steve on the week end:d

Steve keep us posted on how they work out but IMHO I think you would be better off with carbons.

You have my number incase you get in trouble tuning the carbons if you decide to go that route:deer:

19. Schultzy

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks Russ! If I go the Carbon route I'll be sure to give ya a holler mate. Hell, I'll probably give ya a holler anyway just to BS!!:d :beer:

20. Kanga

Kanga Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Lookin forward to it mate:cool: :deer: