Trading Bows in for New at Proshop

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by kwachHTX, Oct 10, 2016.

1. kwachHTX

kwachHTX Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Does anyone get a new bow every year by trading in the previous years bow?If so what kind of money do they give you for your used bow?

Right now I have no desire to trade mine in, but who knows what new bows will come out next year. I was just curious as to if it is even worth it and if you get anything for your previous years bow to make it worth upgrading.

2. macsolocam

macsolocam Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Where I work we give 70% of what we will sell it for... if the bow is one yr old and bare (no accessories) we start em at $650 ... so you'd take 70% of that... accessories you gotta give $20-30 a piece or so,

You will ALWAYS MAKE MORE selling it yourself. But no hassle just taking it somewhere. I'm sure your local shop has a trade up program. Maybe it's $300 or $200 to trade up, just depends on the shop.

"Couldn't think of a good Signature"

3. tkaldahl2000

tkaldahl2000 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    A few years ago I traded a Pearson Z-32 and a Pearson Z-34 in on a Carbon Knight at Scheels and they gave me way more than I expected, but much less than I could have gotten had I sold them on my own. I feel like they treated me fairly.

4. kurveball18

kurveball18 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    If its only a year or two old you should have no problem sellilng it yourself on Craigslist or Ebay. I sold my No Cam when the Halon came out. I went to the local shop and they would only give me about 500 for it. I passed and sold it on Craigslist for 800

If your a little patient you can definitely sell it on your own especially for bows that are only a few years old or less.

5. grommel

grommel Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    There is a place here on Long Island that I went to trade in my bow, I was told they do not do that. They wont have anything to do with used archery equipment. I was shocked. And the worst part of it all, the jerk behind the counter was not a nice fella either. Their loss, I will Never set foot in the place again!!

6. JesseHunts

JesseHunts Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I am thinking of getting the HTX here in December when people start to trade in their bows for the new Mathews line up Which i have partially seen some of them being a pro staff shooter. they just may not be my cup of tea. also previous comments are right i would sell it yourself.

7. TheMathewsGuy

TheMathewsGuy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Definitely try and sell yourself. It might take longer, but you will be able to make more money with the right buyer. The way I see it the more you can sell it for, the more you have to spend on a new bow!

8. Jake/PA

Jake/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I never plan on buying and selling within a year, but I've had to in the past couple of years. Have to say that Archery Talk is the best place. I'd recommend you try selling on there before trading it in.

9. Pro V1

Pro V1 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    In my experiences it's about like driving a new car off the lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. rajela

rajela Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    What are you wanting to get rid of? I think it would depend on what you are trading in or wanting to sell.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2016
  11. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Some things to consider on a trade in. First you loose the margin that they would sell it for. Secondly they will generally base the trade in off of full retail price of the new bow. So not only you loose the margin you also pay a possible increased margin on the new bow. A double loss. Lastly as an off set they should deduct the trade in amount from them purchase price And you should pay less sales tax.
    So there maybe good reasons to trade a bow in verse selling it yourself however I haven't thought of them

Last edited: Oct 12, 2016
  12. indynotch50

indynotch50 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My local shop has a rack (or two sometimes) to let you put your bow out for sale. He supports it as though he sold it new to you, but he never actually owns the bow. It really works out well for everyone.