Trad bow draw weight question.

Discussion in 'Traditional Archery' started by BB4tw, Sep 26, 2015.

1. BB4tw

BB4tw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    This might be a dumb question but I think I know the answer. I'm looking for confirmation.

Ive read that the minimum recommeded draw weight for hunting big game is 40#.

Is that recomendation based on bow rating or actual draw weight?

Is a 35# bow drawn to 30" equal to a 40# bow drawn to 28" equal to a 45# bow drawn to 26" ? (plus or minus a pound or two)

2. Smoke

Smoke Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    actual draw weight... and if your shooting expandables... it better be a lot higher

3. BB4tw

BB4tw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I wouldn't even think of expandables from traditional equipment.

Will be single bevel two blade heads for me. If I ever get that far.

Robert Rankin likes this.
  4. JDouin

JDouin Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Most traditional bows are weighted at a 28" draw. All bows will "stack" differently, when pulling less or more than 28", but it's usually 3 to 5lb difference per inch. Whatever weight you decide on, remember it's much different than a compound. I shoot a 70lb, 30" compound, but only a 50lb, 28" recurve, and while the draw cycles are different, it takes less muscle to shoot my compound.

5. RCW3D

RCW3D Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Quick answer, yes...you are correct. As JDouin stated above, each bow is a little different but 3-5lbs per inch is about right.

6. David Meyer

David Meyer Newb

Dislikes Received:
    What you need to hunt is very much determined by state law. FL for example requires at least a 35 lb draw and the warden will only know what is written on the bow.....what is far more important than draw weight for hunting is arrow placement, if the arrows go where you want them then it doesn't require a monster bow. I shoot a custom recurve that is about 65 LBS at my 31 inch draw, no stacking....

7. BricksDad

BricksDad Newb

Dislikes Received:
    You don't need to be Hercules to bow hunt and a properly tipped arrow fired from 40-45# recurve will shoot through an elk at ranges around 20 yards and even further if you don't hit any bone. Learn to shoot, work on accuracy out to around 20 yards, pass on 'iffy' shots and you'll be fine.