Tracking Ideas

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Swampstomper, Aug 2, 2013.

1. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I thought of one more that has helped me in the past. Every once in a while, I'll go back 20-50 yards so I can crouch down and look down the path the deer was traveling. This sometimes gives you a great vantage point as to where the deer is heading next.

2. OK/Sooner

OK/Sooner Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    The child idea def works. My wife gut shot a little buck a few years ago. After looking for a few hours I called my cousin an his little boy. Believe or not that 5 year old with a flash light found every tiny speck of blood that we couldn't see. Ended up finding the deer not long after.

3. Josh/OH

Josh/OH Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    In the heat of the early season, when it might be necessary to track in the dark, I've used used a quiver-full of lighted knocked arrows to help mark my trail.

4. Acts of the wolf

Acts of the wolf Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    for the really tiny spots of blood a spray bottle with hydrogen peroxide helps alot. especially when the leaves have those annoying little red spots. the peroxide will fizz on contact with the blood.

5. MNHUnter191

MNHUnter191 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    the first two things we learned as kids, memorize a tree closest to where the animal was standing at the time of the shot, as soon as you get to the ground the whole game changes.
    and try to track with another person so one can stand near the last blood while the other guy finds new blood, if that's not an option the toilet paper always seemed better to me as far as marking the trail because it will be gone with the next rain fall.

6. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    One thing I always do, especially if I lose the blood trail, is stand back and look at the likely travel route of the animal. You will be surprised at how often you can tell which way the animal went just by looking at which way looks like it makes the most sense. Found many deer that way.

Blessings.........Pastorjim

7. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Don't forget to use your nose. As silly as it sounds, I've smelt the majority of my deer before I saw them.

8. Junior

Junior Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I use the two person tracking system when ever I can. Ive also used cloths pins with flagging tape atteched. Its easier to clip to a branch or grass and quickly re attach at the next blood sign. Also look for freshly broken twigs, blades of grass/schrubs while tracking in the "thin" blood areas. Fresh ground and vegetation distrubance very well may lead you in the right direct!

9. jemcmichael

jemcmichael Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I really like this idea. Am definitely going to use it this season. Everything looks totally different from the ground. I've even gotten back into my stand to replay the shot in my mind so I could find the point of impact

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4 Beta

10. PackerFanShootingMathews

PackerFanShootingMathews Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    When everything else fails and you are ready to give up, go look in near by water. I have recovered several deer that make it to water. I don't know why, but it is in a deers instinct to find water when wounded. There is a chance he will be in the middle floating, but make sure to look close to the edge because they will tuck themselves in tight to the bank. I personally have never found one in a shallow creek (all of the deer that I have seen do this went to deep water like ponds or rivers). I figure it doesn't hurt to look and if you are at the point of grid hunting it is definily worth keeping in mind.

11. The Old Man

The Old Man Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:

12. The Old Man

The Old Man Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I hunt alone so usually have to track alone. If the deer doesn't go down in sight, after the initial 20 - 30 yard run, it usually uses an established trail making it easier for itself. When I am trailing it, I never walk on the trail. I stay close but off to either side so as not to disturb any sign on the trail. If it doesn't use a trail I still try to stay off to the side of it's path. This also makes it easier to see the blood that is brushed off the deer up on the tall grass that you might not see if you are looking directly down at it.

13. Swampstomper

Swampstomper Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for all the input. Learned some stuff, realized I had forgot some of what was mentioned and also read things I have done without thinking about it. The kid idea was great I used to take my daughter out and teach her how to track, using an old blood trail, when she was little. It is amazing what those young eyes will pick up. I have had a few make a circle so the point about looking around was a great reminder. Water was another key point, I have had them do that also. keep the ideas coming if you have more to add, please do so.

14. kansasfever

kansasfever Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Great thread fellas. So many unique and effective ways to track in this thread. Always good to see or hear someone else's techniques.