Tower Blinds

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by newbie2012, May 24, 2013.

1. newbie2012

newbie2012 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I am looking for a way to build a couple tower box blinds so I can hunt CRP more effecticly. does anybody have any plans/pics I could use as a reference? Is it even worth doing or should i just buy some? Thanks for your opinions

2. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    good question....I'm curious to this one as well..because the sportsmans guide has the 10' base made out of steel for around $200...you would just have to build the hut itself, but the top of the tower is 4' x 4', kinda small. kinda hard to beat....just use 1/4" luan plywood and 2 x 3's....

3. newbie2012

newbie2012 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the input

4. Gummi Bear

Gummi Bear Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've built them out of all kinds of materials.

My favorite platform for a box blind however, is scaffolding. It helps that my Dad is a plaster contractor, so I can get his out of commission frames and then build a platform for them. A set of standard frames, with feet, and a basic platform (I build a 6x8, and set a 6x6 blind on it, so I have a small porch) will put the base of the blind at approximately 7' above the ground. I like to tie them down using aircraft cable, and I drive 3 T-posts into a triad in the middle underneath the frames. I tie the cable around all 3 posts, and to each leg of the scaffold, with a turnbuckle on each one. You can see the posts underneath, the platform is just sitting on the frames in this pic, that coupler pin was rusted into that frame, and I cut it off with a hacksaw and centered the frame on the next trip out.

[​IMG]

They've stood up to 60+MPH winds with none ever turning over on me.

This is the last one I built. It is a 6' cube, I framed it out of 1" EMT fully welded, and skinned it with corrugated tin. The windows are residential window screen frames, and fiberglass screen. I shoot through them, and they do a fantastic job of concealing my movement inside, with no affect on the arrow flight.

[​IMG]

This blind has a flat roof. Where it sits, there isn't much average rainfall, and no snow to speak of (maybe a few inches every couple of years or so)

5. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    let me apologize in advance....but "whatsa happenin hot stuff" lol, love the avatar gummi bear!! haven't seen that movie in forever!