Top or bottom of the ridges?

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by Tyler_Cline3, Aug 4, 2015.

1. Tyler_Cline3

Tyler_Cline3 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I've got a very large piece of property with two large ridges, on the very top there are thickets, on the bottom there is a creek, on the other side of the creek there are 100 open row cropped acres. All the same farm. This is the most remote and confusing place I hunt, I have a lot of great pictures on the top, bottom and the field edge. But no consistency with times or moon phases. I was wondering what some of you all would suggest.

2. Ruff

Ruff Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I hunt the tops in the mornings and bottoms for the afternoon hunts. Reason being if you hunt the bottoms in the mornings the warming thermals will carry your scent up the ridge even without any wind. The same goes if you hunt the tops in the afternoons the cooling air will carry your scent down the ridge.

3. ShaneB22

ShaneB22 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Never thought of that. Good tip. I don't hunt ridges often but I just put a set on the top of one because of the sign.

4. Tyler_Cline3

Tyler_Cline3 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    This is a very good point... Defiantly going to keep that in mind

5. P.Smash

P.Smash Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    This Ruff feller is spot on :tu: But also play the wind, If you got a good wind hunt which ever one works that day, and the one with the most rubs and scrapes. Early in the rut I like the ridge tops or near the top, like on a bench or two from the top. Later in the rut I like lower especially if there is fields, pastures etc down there....bucks will cruise field edges for hot does... :)

6. JakeD

JakeD Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'd be careful with hunting the bottom of the ridges. You need to know what the wind does in those bottoms for each wind direction. For example: It may be a north wind, but could be swirling and blowing southwest in the bottom. Just something to keep in mind.

7. cyokley40

cyokley40 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Ridge top! Especially in mornings. Of course this depends on how accessible your set up is. Deer like any other animal feel more safe on high ground. They move more carelessly and 9 out of ten they're main travel route will follow the ridge

8. Suncrest08

Suncrest08 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I hunt both top and bottom of ridges, just play the wind. I have my best of luck on top of ridges during the rut/pre rut. Seems like they travel the ridges on the downwind side checking scrapes that's just my observations. I even hunt in between ridges and bottoms on heavily used trails going into and out of bedding/food source. Acorns on the ridge top and bedding bellow.

9. Tyler_Cline3

Tyler_Cline3 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for all the input guys, I really appreciate it!

10. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I would hunt near the creek in the early season. Then move to the ridge come pre-rut and rut. Like suncrest08 said, play the wind.

11. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Also...Murphy's Law states that if you hunt the bottom of a ridge, you will hear bucks cruising for does on the ridge top just out of sight all day long, which will drive you bonkers.

12. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    This is true! LOL! Happened to me before during the Rut. Taught me a lesson!

13. littlewolf

littlewolf Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I like to come in from the top in the morning and set up just a little ways down one side, maybe on a point or above a bench where I can see down a little ways. I see more deer in the bottoms than up on the ridges. I think the areas I hunt they are traveling the ridge tops more at night. Sign is there just not many sightings during the day.

But after reading your post again...coming in from the top may not be the best option for you. You say your ridges have thickets at the tops (most of mine have roads or open hardwoods). The ridge top thickets are probably where your bucks want to lay up during the day. So you want to stay outta there. If the deer are using the field in the bottom in the evenings, you might want to start off hunting the far edge (away from the creek) one afternoon when the wind is blowing from the creek or parallel to it. Use the first hunt or two to scout out where the deer enter the field. That should give you an idea where to set up on the creek side of the field. If the bucks are coming into the field after dark, it's going to be a bit tougher. You have to think about your exit plan if there are deer in the field.

If you have time to scout before season, walk the ridge top thicket edges around noon and try to pinpoint where a buck is entering/exiting the thicket headed toward the field..Use scent control like you would if you were hunting. If you can go during a light rain even better - low impact is key. If there are points leading down to the field, focus on where those come out of the thicket. If there are two points that join near the edge the thicket, make sure to check that spot out. They seem to like that terrain set up. If you can find an access point from the side of the ridge that will let you ease in undetected, then save it for a prime hunt when the wind is right. Set up as far away as you can within bow range and as quietly as possible. Good spot for an all day sit during the rut, but not a spot you want to hunt very often. Gotta pick your moment. Wait for the right wind/weather and be dead quiet going in and out. If possible, go in well before daylight and plan on staying til after dark. You need to be there before the deer enter the thicket in the morning and not leave until after they have exited and passed by you in the evening. Or time it so you can enter/leave midday if that's not possible and maybe go right after a rain when the leaves are still wet so you can sneak in. You just don't want to get caught walking around next to the bedding area during daylight. Scent control is vital. During the lockdown part of the rut, buck and doe pairs will still venture out to the edges to feed/stretch during the day, especially late morning from my experience.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2015