Too windy to shoot or hunt?

Discussion in 'Intro to Bowhunting & Archery' started by Swise660, Mar 14, 2015.

1. Swise660

Swise660 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    So my curiosity has got me wondering on this now that we have a yard we can shoot it. When would you consider it too windy to bow hunt or just shoot?

Last bow season there were a few mornings we were getting ready to go hunting when my boyfriends dad would call in the morning and say "no hunting today, its too windy." Their hunting lease is close to 2 hours away so when we decide a weekend we are bow hunting that land, we all go. I have had other friends/family that bow hunt and they say that as long as you keep your shots short when its windy, there is no real need to be concerned about the wind. His dad is always going on about the wind and not being able to hunt or shoot during windy weather because it'll push your arrow off course.

I don't have enough experience to know when its too windy or if there is a time when its too windy.

I wanted to shoot in our back yard the last few days being it has been quite nice temperature wise but there were wind gusts up to 20 mph so I didn't shoot.

What are your thoughts on this?

2. JWOAdventures

JWOAdventures Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    At 20 yards I still practice in 20 mph still shooting a tight group. Beyond that they open up to the wind

3. Smoke

Smoke Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    gets too windy.. the deer stop moving and hunting sucks... breezy, and the deer are moving.. it's not too windy if you keep your shots close.... .... myself... I basically take 10 yards off my maximum for each 10 miles of wind... and of course consider wind direction and drift in my shot placement

4. kiwibowhunter

kiwibowhunter Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I often practice my bow shooting in the wind, but that's because its so windy were I live (Wellington, New Zealand)!

But I find (red) deer hunting very difficult in the wind so will usually wait for the wind to die down. The deer usually hunker down.

5. Longstriker

Longstriker Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    There are days when it's too windy to hunt because of restricted animal activity, but it's never too windy to
    practice unless the winds are steadily over 25mph.

6. 60X Custom Strings

60X Custom Strings Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I've never had much luck hunting in the wind. Sometimes it's more of a safety issue when the tree is swinging and limbs are falling all around

7. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I HATE hunting with stiff winds, but sometimes (rut) you have to hunt when you can. At short range, say 20-30yrds, wind won't make enough difference to worry about.

8. davidingle

davidingle Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I agree, I hate hunting in the wind when your trees swaying all over, but if you have limited days to hunt you do it when you can. Practicing in the wind can help as long as its not super windy and you aren't trying to take any long shots

9. Swise660

Swise660 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks every one. I do only get to hunt limited days, work keeps me pretty well tied up so I have to hunt when I can.

10. PinkPony

PinkPony Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I only get limited hunting, too. I usually always go unless it is very windy or windy and rain. The deer just don't move with that around here. Last year I joked and said my treestand is the only amusement park ride you'll get me on - as I was swaying all around. (Keep in mind, I personally do not shoot over 20 yards, so it ruining my arrow travel is slim)

11. Swise660

Swise660 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I am only shooting 45 pounds so about the most I feel comfortable with is 30 yards.

Obviously there are times when the winds are just too strong to be worth the hunt but I have a hard time not hunting just because of a little wind. I have shot deer in the rifle stand with fairly high winds so I know the deer just don't stop moving all together. I understand that they usually in full rut at this time and bow hunting is a whole different ball game but I can't not go because of a little wind.