Too much ozone - scent control

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by opossumhunterNC, Nov 19, 2020.

1. opossumhunterNC

opossumhunterNC Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    So I have been looking into getting an ozonics or scent crusher ozone generators for de-scentifying my hunting gear between hunts so I don’t have to wash it as often. I am wondering whether I should spend $300-500 bucks for one of the generators that are targeted towards hunting or if I should just get one of the industrial ones they use for deodorizing houses after a fire or flood since those have far higher output and can be purchased for $50-$100.

After all, Ozone is just an oxygen molecule that contains an extra oxygen atom (O3 vs O2) that can break of and react with volitile odor causing compounds and break them down. Does it really matter where the ozone comes from?

I understand the you don’t want to breathe ozone (which would apply for the hunting versions as well as the industrial generators) and that it does degrade certain materials (nitrile rubber, certain synthetic and elastic materials, etc... which is another thing that would apply to hunting type ozone generators as well). I am not going to be running it in the house or going in there and huffing ozone. Just going to put it inside a relatively tightly sealed closet inside of a storage building. Figured I could just get one that has analog switch/knob type controls and connect it to one of those wall outlet timers so I could set it on a repeating schedule that would turn it on for say 10 minutes, then turn it off for a couple hours, then back on for another 10 minutes, etc. Thinking that would keep the ozone concentration from getting too high and causing damage to any clothing materials that are susceptible to ozone degradation.

Had anybody tried this or something similar and/or anybody out there who knows more about this subject and could enlighten me on any potential reasons why I wouldn’t want to just go this route?

I am thinking something like this:
    upload_2020-11-19_16-8-39.png

Wop 75 likes this.
  2. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have that exact model and use it around the house. Works great. I also have two scentlok ozone generators the latest being the 400 radial. If you have the time to invest in building a little scent treatment closet the Alpine will do just fine. The scentlok units excel in those tighter spaces like totes and can run off the lighter plug in your automobile. It really just boils down to what you want to make space for, I suppose one could simply buy a bigger tote and fit the Alpine unit in it..

Wop 75 likes this.
  3. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Oh, got side tracked. I would definitely use a timer in ten or fifteen minute sessions followed by the two or three hour down time. That home unit puts it on thick. Actually sounds better than the running it thirty minutes in a tote.

Wop 75 likes this.
  4. opossumhunterNC

opossumhunterNC Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Yea I’ve already got a 5x8’closet thats dedicated to keeping hunting clothes in. It is not completely airtight like but pretty close. The door is a tight fitting exterior type door with weatherstripping all around it and a good even door jamb. If you go inside it with the lights off you can’t see any light leaking in around the door. Figured I would set it up in there and store an airtight tote on the floor so I can just leave the clothes hanging and when I leave I can toss anything I need into the tote and seal it up. I can’t imagine that the 2 minutes it takes to grab stuff off a hanger and toss it into a tote is going to let in any real significant scent. Plus the closet is in a storage shed so there isn’t a lot of human scent in there to begin with.

Okiebob likes this.
  5. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My wife bought some plastic put it together garden shed. Of course, I glanced at the instructions and went to the lumber yard and built one. The plastic job is still in the garage and I've thought about putting it together for just that reason.

I dont think a couple of minutes exposure is going to make a difference between taking them down and putting them in the tub.

6. jonderrs7

jonderrs7 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Talk to @Sota . pretty sure hes done something like that.

7. muzzyman88

muzzyman88 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Just be really careful what you subject to ozone.. I want to use it in the worst way, but can't see destroying a couple grand worth of Sitka and other gear.

8. goldtipxt

goldtipxt Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    That’s what I have and it works great