Tomahawk, Wisconsin

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by 2 Lunger, Mar 12, 2012.

1. 2 Lunger

2 Lunger Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Any of you Canucks know any information on this area other than it is out in the vast wilderness? Got offered a promotion and a pretty substantial raise if I would go up there and run the facilities maintenance for our company at the Harley plant. Just doing to research and it looks like there is nothing around for miles. Any info would be appreciated.

2. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    What do you want to know about it? Nice area from when I've been there. Lots of public land including the Chequamegon National Forest. Lot's a lakes in the area if you are into fishing. Hwy 8 that runs through Tomahawk is a major highway that makes it easy to travel east/west. Hwy 51 runs north/south through Tomahawk which lets you travel north/south well. If it were me? I'd love to live up there if I could find a well paying job.

Dan would probably be a really good person to ask.

3. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds fantastic! :deer:

Small town for sure (just a little bigger than Ely), but it's a beautiful part of WI. Lakes, streams, woods, National Forests, ATV & snowmobile trails... It's a great place if you like the outdoors and hunting & fishing.

Looks like Green Bay would be the closest "big city". About 2.5 hrs away. Again that's similar as my drive from Ely to Duluth. Madison would be 3 or 3.5 hrs away. Duluth/Superior about the same. You'd be 4-5 hours away from all the best places WI & MN have to offer IMO.

4. Iowa Veteran

Iowa Veteran Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Just be advised that the winter is not anything like Texas!

5. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Wausau is a major city and is closer (~35min away). Wausau has a lot to offer including great health care.

6. Hooker

Hooker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'd take it just to get out of the Dallas area if I were you

7. Iowa Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If you decide you don't want the job, tell them I'll be happy to move up there for them!

8. isaiah

isaiah Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    you can catch a puddle jumper to Madison then connect to a larger airport like Millwaukee, Chicago or Mpls. great outdoors town awesome in the summer if you like to boat and even better in the winter for sledding (snowmobiling). was up there about 5 or 6 times this year and never once did it fail me. other than the marginal snow at times. plenty of pics in local spots around there i saw with some big deer that were taken. i dont think you can go wrong! plus i think they make the paint for Harley Davidson....

9. 2 Lunger

2 Lunger Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:

This is what I'm worried about!:jaw: I'm originally from Souther Illinois, so I could probably get back into wearing insulated socks real quick. It looks like endless opportunities for hunting and fishing. Main reason I'm thinking about it is my boys are in Aurora, IL. which is only a 4-5 hour drive vs. the $350 flight I pay for every three weeks.

I really like Texas, but I struggle with being a long way from home a lot. Life sure would slow down a lot and I've been looking for that for a long time.

10. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:

Based on what you are saying here, I would jump on it in a heartbeat.

Edit: Are you married? (Very important question)

Last edited: Mar 12, 2012
  11. Dan

Dan Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    I have only been to the Tomahawk area a few times, but its awesome. Tons of outdoor activities year round. For spring, summer and fall you really can't find a better part of the state to live in. Winter is a toss-up, depending on how much you like snow and cold. Like Brad said, you'll have tons of outdoor activities year round and never get bored in that aspect.

Uh, no. You'd be in one of the best places WI has to offer, if you love the outdoors.

Major for the area. I live just over an hour straight west of Wausau and it does have all the amenities you need from a big city. Great health care as well.

If you have women in your life that need to have a couple big shopping trips a year, Appleton and Oshkosh have fantastic shopping at 2.5 hours away. Also, you're really only 3 hours away from Minneapolis/St Paul. Mall of America is easy to get to and I personally feel MSP is one of the best big cities in the country.

Again, this brings us back to what you would want out of winter. Really, our winter's aren't as bad as people make them out to be. Again, tons to do.

12. 2 Lunger

2 Lunger Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    You're right. I despise Dallas, but I'm a huge fan of Fort Worth and I spend a lot of time there.

I think I'm going to fly up and check it out next week. Just by looking at ariel photos and stuff of the town, it reminds me of that show "Northern Exposure".

13. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Maybe you missed when I asked this but this is important. Are you married?

14. Dan

Dan Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    Don't get caught up in the stereotypes and that that you're really "out in the sticks." My wife is from just north of Milwaukee and she always thought that Chippewa Falls was "Up North." Now that we've been married almost 12 years she absolutely loves it here.

15. Iowa Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Dan, don't get me wrong, I love winter, but people from the south seem to think even 30 degrees is too cold to deal with, much less than -30.

16. MadMan

MadMan Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    My family has a cabin 30 miles north of Tomahawk. It's a major vaction destination and summer home area. Like Brad said lots of public land in the area. I would guess to say the whitetail popultion in the area isnt that great or low dpsm numbers. There is some great multi species fishing to be had in the area. My brothers caught over 200 walleyes through the ice this season although he's in Vilas county which is an hour north of Tomahawk. I would say if your consindering it you better be ready for lots of snow.

17. 2 Lunger

2 Lunger Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Dan,

Thanks for all your input. I really appreciate it. I think its time for me to get back to the simple life and get back to the stuff I enjoy doing (hunting and fishing) which I've only been able to do a few times a year since I started working this industry 5 years ago.

Main thing is just getting back to my boys. It kills me everytime I leave and I have to watch them cry through the window. That tears this guy up every time. Just getting back to at least driving distance would mean a lot to them and me. I'm going to go check it out, but it looks like a no brainer.

18. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:

I agree. That area is the perfect mix of being developed just enough to offer nice amenities but still very rural.

The people that live there are no nonsense, blue collar, hard working, hunting/fishing type people.

19. Dan

Dan Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    Agree. I said that keeping in mind that he wasn't originally from Texas.

20. 2 Lunger

2 Lunger Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    True words spoken here. I could get used to the winters again, I think.......

BJE80, not married and it will just be myself going up there.