Tom Alford

Discussion in 'Bowhunt or Die® - Web Show' started by Dustin, Oct 25, 2013.

1. Dustin

Dustin Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Did anyone else notice that when Tom Alford shot his doe in the last episode that when he found his arrow broken it was a different arrow then what he shot with.. Is this staged or? What is with this?

2. nealmccullough

nealmccullough BHOD Crew

Dislikes Received:
    I'm guessing he staged the "draw-back" ... Likely nothing more then that... Good eye!

3. Cablebob

Cablebob Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    The Draw Back is staged in many hunting videos. I hate it. I wish that trend would have never started. It just forces hunters to have a bazillion cameras in the tree with them or stage the draw back to keep it exciting.

I was watching a hunting show when I swear the stalking scene was staged. It looked so fake. The camera in front looking back, now the camera in back looking forward with no camera in front of the hunter.

It's just getting out of hand.

4. ISiman/OH

ISiman/OH Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I stop watching hunting shows and videos when they start showing staged shots, if you don't have the footage from the real shot then please don't put it in the show!

5. RackHunter

RackHunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Agreed!

6. tommy2shot

tommy2shot BHOD Crew

Dislikes Received:
    Great question.... I really wanted to show the straight down angle of the shot ,and my angle on that deer. The camera made it look like she was straight on when in fact she was almost broadside slightly quartering to. Sorry its very hard to see this from the footage. BHOD

7. Christine

Christine Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I got annoyed years ago when videos started that trend of the guy 'looking' for his downed deer when the damn cameraman is standing right over it. Who needs bloodtrailing dogs? Just get a cameraman, they stand right over dead deer.

:busted:

Needless to say, I don't think much of the fake drawing and/or fake shooting. But I'm a hater....... ;)

8. Trevor Olson

Trevor Olson BHOD Crew

Dislikes Received:
    Often times we do stage or recreate some of the shots that we wish we could have gotten. This helps with the story in Tom's hunt. Storytelling is part of what we are trying to accomplish when we film. Hunts and many other films would be very boring without a story to follow. I personally cant stand videos that show an interview in the tree, shot, and recovery. I am happy to be apart of this team, where we keep it real and we get to share our stories with you the viewers. Thanks for watching!

9. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I was out of the office Thursday/Friday hunting and didn't have an opportunity to see the final product, but it was most likely a mix-up on the part of our editor. We typically don't put in any staged shots or stuff from other hunts. However on those Epic cameras there's no date stamp on the file so it's hard to know exactly when it was shot. I'm assuming he simply saw the "draw back" sequence when Tom turn in the SD card with his footage and assumed it was for that hunt. Once I review everything if that turns out to be the case we'll re-edit the show to remove that section. No harm done.

10. Slugger

Slugger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That's good to know. Thanks.

11. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    FYI - just watched the show and it's definitely the same arrow. Not sure what you guys are seeing? It's a bit dark due to the sky being so bright in the background but it's definitely a CX Maxima RED.

12. Just Passin thru

Just Passin thru Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I thought so too, but when I went back to check you can see the back part of the broken arrow is black, while the one he draws back with is white. You can see the 2 types of arrows (Both CX Maxima REDs though, just different color quickfletches?) in his quiver when he recovered the doe. I'm with Christine though, as long as the shots the real deal it doesn't matter to me if the drawing back/shooting is staged. Doesn't make the show any less awesome IMO....

Last edited: Oct 27, 2013
  13. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Ahhh...gotcha! A quick phone call solved the mystery - Tom re-enacted the drawback sequence with another arrow from his quiver after he shot the doe. Trouble is, he grabbed one with a different color fletching.

Pro Tip: When re-enacting scenes make sure you're using the same equipment as the original shot! :busted:

14. LSU327

LSU327 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I don't think this is a big deal. We all watch this show because we want to see some professionals but down some white-tails. If the end product needs a bit of a cosmetic makeover, so what? As mentioned previously it is all about story-telling, and last time I checked no one turns in a novel without a few red marks from the editor.

15. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I guess I am old school. I would just rather not even see the draw back if it's not the real deal. I am sure a lot of shows do it, and we've even seen it on BHoD. I just would still prefer only to see real action, not re-enacted.

I still love the show and this one was a good one for sure. I enjoyed Justin and Todd being outside and not at their desk. Plus the excitement of Tom with that buck was awesome.