Todd's Elk Hunt

Discussion in 'Bowhunt or Die® - Web Show' started by tkaldahl2000, Oct 7, 2016.

1. tkaldahl2000

tkaldahl2000 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm watching the newest episode on YouTube, and I can't believe Todd would go to a petting zoo where the elk come up and sniff your bow. That must have been awesome.

2. macsolocam

macsolocam Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Haha that was hilarious, she's got freaked out when she realized it was some goofy guy in glasses and not a tree.

"Couldn't think of a good Signature"

3. Ghilie

Ghilie Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    That was an amazing segment and the videography was great especially during that first snowy day. It made you feel like you were there...

4. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    What you couldn't see was the spike bull that was also two yards to our left. The whole time the 1st cow was walking out in front at 7 yards, you could hear the spike and the sniffer chewing to our left. I was barely able to turn the camera to get her in frame before she started pushing on his bow. It was a crazy thing to see.

All this was happening as the herd bull was thrashing an aspen just over the saddle above us. All we could see was the top of the tree whipping around.

One of the greatest mornings I've ever spent in the woods.

5. _andrewgiles_sio

_andrewgiles_sio Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Kudos to fitz, some of the best cinematography I've seen in a long time! Really appreciated this episode!

6. JGD

JGD Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    All I know is the boys were rolling fat in that Mercedes. That's how I'd like to roll into a mountain elk camp...in a freaking MERCEDES! Sweet move fellas, sweet move. :rock:

7. jtcozart21

jtcozart21 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I wonder if Todd changed his arrow set up for the elk hunt to a heavier set up? Or was he using his whitetail arrows?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

8. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    That was some awesome footage!!

9. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    He was shooting the Black Eagle Zombie Slayers with extra weight up front. He also was shooting Hellrazors to.

Personally, I don't think there's a setup possible that would blow through and Elk shoulder. Especially where he hit it.

10. jtcozart21

jtcozart21 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I have no experience elk hunting. I've just seen shows where they changes their set ups for more penetration. Just curious if he changed anything. Hate it for him.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

11. sig239

sig239 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    best videography of the show so far...the music during the snow scene was perfect.

12. SRSmith

SRSmith Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hey Todd, you're not alone. I've been bow hunting for 20+ years. My first ever bear hunt this year, after not seeing a bear for 5 days a nice one comes in and I did the exact same thing. I was bummed but it was an awesome experience. I studied and practiced my brains out. Bow hunt or die and good luck this season. Scott from WI.

13. WELDO

WELDO Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Honestly in the end it's great footage for the anti hunters or archers to show why we shouldn't be allowed to hunt using bows and arrows! Prolly could have left some of that out of the video in my humble opinion.

14. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    It's also a learning point for beginning archers that may provide information that reduces injured animals. The one thing they've said from the beginning and have stuck too, is to show it how it is.

15. WELDO

WELDO Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I don't disagree with that point ! I'm only giving some in site as to how my family viewed Todd's hunt. We know proper shot placement is crucial but I just disagree with how this hunt was presented to the world.

16. Wisconsin Buckwatch

Wisconsin Buckwatch Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah man....I mean I really hate that BHOD was showing what actually happened, so bush league man. I'd hate for my one of my sons to see that and think that hunting really sucks sometimes when you wound an animal.. All i wanna see is some dude wearing rhinestone jeans making all the shots screaming BOOYAHH after every kill. Also don't waste my time showing any deer under 150'' because i don't want my family to be exposed to that. Please stop embarrassing yourselves. Hillary 2016.......Haahaaa

17. dantheman68

dantheman68 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    If someone who hates hunting makes it that far into the video they're looking to find something to complain about. Those peoples minds you aren't gonna change.

Its far more helpful to show how mistakes can bum out even the best hunters who put in tons of work so that you keep hunters hunting that enjoy it but might give up after a few mistakes

18. _andrewgiles_sio

_andrewgiles_sio Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have an honest question. When did we start catering to the anti's? They are always going to be there as they have been for years. I feel like we have recently begun changing some of the way we do things to somewhat please them, isn't this what they want?

19. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Dr. Ed Ashby would disagree.....I would too, but man you are talking about going to extreme FOC, heavy arrow and limiting distance more than most hunters would want to. Especially while hunting Elk.

20. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I don't think penetration was the issue - he got enough arrow into the elk to kill it. If I recall he got about 8-10" of arrow into the animal before it broke off. The problem is he didn't hit any vitals. No amount of penetration is going to kill an animal if it's a pure meat hit. I'm no elk expert but I would say he was in front of and above the lungs.

As for showing or not showing these types of hunts, we're always on the fence with them week to week. Most of the time the deciding factor is whether or not the hunter behaved ethically and simply made a bad shot, or if the shot itself was questionable. In this case he did everything right with the exception of the shot execution. It's a shame, but it is what it is. That animal will live and hopefully others can learn from Todd's mistakes and help prevent these situations in the future.