Todd's electric fence S6 E7

Discussion in 'Bowhunt or Die® - Web Show' started by Woods, Jul 11, 2015.

1. Woods

Woods Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Anyone know how high Todd's wire is off the ground and how many feet apart the two separate fences are? Anyone do it differently care to share their experiences? I've been thinking about doing this for a couple years now. Thanks!

Last edited: Jul 11, 2015
  2. rsmith

rsmith Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I do mine at 5 feet high and than go 3-4 feet away from the tft fence and stagger it at 3ft high so that they can crawl under and since they don't have depth perception they don't jump it because all they know is it is behind the first so they don't risk it. Than get contractor tape and run it at 3ft in front and 4 feet away from the 5ft fence to add extra protection.

3. michael_pearce

michael_pearce Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I am pretty sure when we did Todd's fence last year we set it up at 4' tall and 3' apart.
    I am not sure if he changed it at all for this year

4. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    The electric fence posts are 48" tall so he has the fencing about 42" high. The interior fence is about 30" high and is about 2' from the electric fence.

5. Tim Ainsworth

Tim Ainsworth BHOD Crew

Dislikes Received:
    This is the first year Troy and I have used an Electric fence on our property, so we don't have a ton of experience. I can say after 2 months of comparing un-fenced to fenced bean plots, its a night and day difference. We just filmed our set up this past weekend so you may see it on a future episode.

I did a ton of research before we put it up this year and we followed one of Gallagher's ( https://am.gallagher.com/us-en/)Electric fence model configurations. We set our outer fence (hot) to about 24" inches and the inner 3 ft in and at 12" and 36" (not hot). After two months we have had no deer in the plot what so ever. A few turkeys have learned to fly over the fence but they have done virtually no damage to the beans as I think they are after mostly bugs right now anyways.

It's a two acre bean plot and our voltmeters are reading over 9000 volts right now. The Parmak 12 Mag we are using has done a fantastic job so far. Next year we will be fencing more bean plots if these results hold up.