To shoot or to pass? What would you do?

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by Krab Claw, Dec 20, 2015.

1. Krab Claw

Krab Claw Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I am targeting a buck on the property that I hunt. I've collected, what I believe is his shed and have nicknamed him Krab Claw. He lives on the property and loves to fight however there is a catch...

This season the landowner allowed another person to hunt on the land. I feel like this a race to shoot the big buck on the property. Because I know he would take the buck if given the chance. It's either me or him.

KC is a 10pointer. He has since broken off 2 tines on the left and one tine on the right.

I have 2 weeks left of the season and I wanted your opinion on what you would do.

Would you shoot KC or would you pass knowing that he would be taken by the other guy hunting the property ? Or pass on him and attempt to take him at his prime next season?

2. uncljohn

uncljohn Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If you shoot the buck that is your user name, what would you have left to live for? Or will you pick a new user name for next year's target nicknamed buck?

Personally I set a target based on my own standards, not whether I think I'm in some supposed competition with another hunter to be the first.

3. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I let him walk.

4. Eddie234

Eddie234 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Is let him go and hope he makes it till next year. If he's a trophy for you I'd have a hard time mounting him with the busted up rack.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

5. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If he had been my "target deer" I would still hunt him.
    I might pass him if he was all busted up but knowing that I was able to beat him on his turf would mean a whole lot to me.

Yes I do like to shoot but once you shoot, the fun's over and the work begins.