to screen or not to screen?

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by bruesh, Nov 26, 2018.

1. bruesh

bruesh Newb

Dislikes Received:
    we will be creating a 1/2 acre food plot in the woods this year. we will be hunting funnels leading to the plot and will not be hunting over the food. Is a food plot screen still going to be beneficial? My biggest question is will bucks feel unsafe once they are inside the plot, since they won’t be able to see out of the plot to see any potential danger, if it is screened in.

2. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    So I did Egyptian wheat this year as a screen, will not do it again. Its wasted space that in could have planted something more beneficial food wise. I am instead planting a mix of clay peas and sunn hemp this summer. I would suggest planting something that doubles as screening and food, i.e. corn, sunn hemp, sunflowers ect..

copperhead likes this.
  3. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Some shrubs can make good screening too. If they have enough escape routes meaning your screening isn’t too thick and totally surrounding the perimeter where they would feel corralled then you’ll be ok I would think

4. picman

picman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:

I really like this answer. It ties very well with what I know about keeping deer OUT of an area. My garden is a quarter acre and was surrounded by a 4 foot wire fence. The deer would jump that all day long. I had read an article about "deer proof" fencing. One of the ideas was to put a screening material over the fence so that they could not see into the garden. That stopped them cold.

So, as Shocker said, a not too thick screen would be best. Especially for a small plot.

5. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Honestly if you are not going to be hunting over the plot I wouldn't even bother with a screen. Especially since its 1/2 acre and located within the woods. Spend those resources on the food, lime and fertilizer.

Good luck and let us know what direction you go and how it worked.

Okiebob likes this.
  6. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I do a lot of screening both permanent structure and seasonal food. Different reasons for each.
    The permanent :
    1) to prevent poaching
    2) prevent trespassing in general
    3) steering movement
    The seasonal :
    1) conceal my movements
    2) bedding
    3) cause a bit more day movement
    Deer know a food source but want to see whats in the field before entering ,especially buck looking for doe. A screened plot here usually slows down their movement on approach. It brings them out of bedding early in the afternoon. They also tend to enter at particular points. This gives you a better handle on where to set up.