Tips on Shed hunting?

Discussion in 'Shed Hunting' started by tj_privett, Mar 21, 2018.

1. tj_privett

tj_privett Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I’ve talked about getting into shed hunting for a while now with a few buddies of mine.. any tips or suggestions on where to start?

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

2. tc racing

tc racing Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    feeding areas, walk trails, in fresh logging areas, downwind side of hills or cover where the deer can get out of the wind, and walk a lot of miles, try not to go when it is sunny. overcast days help the antlers show up.

tj_privett likes this.
  3. bbslayr

bbslayr Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I wouldnt do it... its not fun at all, its really long and arduous... ok ok i just dont want more compitition. Get 1 antler and throw it in the woods and look for it. Train your eyes to pick out the curve of a main beam or thr tip of a tine dont look for a full antler.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

tj_privett likes this.
  4. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    What the guys above said is great advice! I also take a antler with me when I go. I will throw it ahead of me and look for it. It helps train my eyes before I start. Also you just need to walk a ton of miles in areas that bucks will be. I may take 5 -10 miles for me between finding a shed. Lite raining days are golden! Makes them pop out!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

tj_privett likes this.
  5. boonerville

boonerville Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Figure out where deer spend the winter...this has been huge for me. Deer move surprisingly little if they have cover and food in a small area during the winter. Example...couple weeks ago I walked 20 miles in one day on the same farm. whole place covered in deer sign; fields, edges, cedars, all classic shed areas...picked up some sporadic antlers here and there but not a ton. last Friday went to different farm close by; found 11 in less than 2 hours, all within 300 yards of each other. The deer love bedding on that certain spot, even though there is good bedding elsewhere.

tj_privett likes this.
  6. boonerville

boonerville Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Apparently Roamer doesn't like finding sheds