Tips for helping target panic?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by ernmcburn, Sep 16, 2016.

1. ernmcburn

ernmcburn Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    So I got my bow last Christmas. Im 14 and I cannot shoot very good. I got so frustrated I finally took it to a guy at my uncles store. He made it VERY clear that I punch the crap out of the trigger. When I shoot its one fluid motion. finger comes around the trigger and I instantly shoot. I use a index finger release, a trufire patriot jr to be exact. So does anyone have any tips? I really want to shoot a deer with it this season. Please help and thank you.

2. JDUB

JDUB Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Go to that same shop get their practice release that won't fire then practice coming to full draw, aiming, then letting down.
    Then once you can do that without freakin out get a target with no aiming points and then draw but don't focus on aiming, just shot execution. Develop a sequence like draw, align peep with sight housing, then check level, then steady pin, then move finger out over trigger, then release at will. Do drills where you deliberately wait for say 10sec or. Some other time before executing the shot.

Then when you've mastered both start aiming and shooting again.

3. TheMathewsGuy

TheMathewsGuy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Couldn't have said it better myself. I use to punch my trigger hard as well. What helped me the most was focusing on my breathing. I was getting too amped/nervous and not calming myself to prepare for the shot. Don't know if that will help you, but it really helped me. Best of luck!

4. Bradleyprejean87

Bradleyprejean87 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Shooting blind bales.... just get 2 to 3 feet from the target pull to full draw focus on lining everything up close your eyes and slowly slowly squeeze the trigger... the shot should be a complete surprise everytime you shoot the bow! you should never know exactly when its going to go off if your doing it right!

5. rick-florida

rick-florida Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    recommend have a good archer watch you shoot to make sure you are using proper form. its better to develop proper form early on than to have to break bad habits later. plus what everyone above said.

6. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    ^Great Advice^

7. bowhntr4life

bowhntr4life Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I switched to back tension and that solved it. No trigger.

8. Jake/PA

Jake/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Carter Evolution.

9. JoshKeller

JoshKeller Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    draw your bow and hold on the target. dont worry about the pin floating. have someone else touch off the trigger for you. you'll learn how a surprise release feels, and that you dont have to hold dead steady to make a good shot.