time of day for decoy

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by heartstopper, Oct 12, 2016.

1. heartstopper

heartstopper Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I purchased a scarface decoy this off season. I was wondering what time of day is the best to use it. I was thinking I would make to much noise in the early morning. thanks

2. JGD

JGD Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Use it whenever you think there are bucks cruising for does. I set one up in the dark a few years ago and killed a huge buck at 8:20 or so in the morning. He was cruising and came right in when he saw the decoy. Same decoy by the way.

3. heartstopper

heartstopper Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    thanks have you had a lot of success with it

4. Shoot Straight

Shoot Straight Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I wanted to hunt over a decoy for years. Bought one two years ago. I think it was called "Miss October" or something like that. Blow up version with a very life like screen print on it. I thought it looked as much like a real deer than anything else I'd seen. Hunted with it twice and it scared the life out of everything that got close to me. Hope your experience is better than mine. "Miss October" is now set up in my basement and is used exclusively as a Nerf Gun target for my 6 and 8 year old. Maybe it will be worth the price of purchase by teaching my kids shot placement at different angles.

5. selfbros

selfbros Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I've only had semi success with a buck target as a decoy. A buck came in right at dark. I missed completely. I've never seen a deer when I bring my doe decoy.

6. Arkyinks

Arkyinks Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Darn wind blows them down before anything comes by so I leave it at home.

7. Pro V1

Pro V1 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have been using decoys for 5 seasons now & enjoy hunting over them. I started with a buck/doe combo of Montanas & had success my first year. Last year I purchased a 3D style & harvested my buck using it. Best advice I can give you is to put it where it can be seen from a "decent" distance. I primarily use them during the pre-rut/rut so normally do an all day sit. I try to get to my spot extra early to get them set up well before I expect the deer to start moving. I actually just put my Montana doe in my truck tonight & plan on using it in the morning to fill my "herd reduction" doe tag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. captain71

captain71 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I always wanted to hunt over a buck decoy I purchase one this year. I was thinking of using it next weekend or perhaps sometime this muzzle loader weekend. But I dont think bucks are cruising for doe's yet here in Ky.