Ticks

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by Woody9220, May 27, 2012.

1. Woody9220

Woody9220 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Went down to my hunting land today with my dad and future brother inlaw and came back covered in ticks. Between the three of us we found close to 30 ticks on our clothes or bodies. I am pretty sure we got them all off us but I'm sure there are more in my truck. Does anyone know how I can kill the ones that may be in the truck so I dont have to worry about getting more on me?

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk

2. MechDoc

MechDoc Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Park your truck in the sun with the windows rolled up for a few hours. The interior of your truck will reach over 140 degrees which will kill about everything but Fleas.

3. srtiek

srtiek Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    that'll work. just cook the little buggers

4. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah that will work. Do you guys use Permethrin to treat your clothes and boots?

5. Decypha

Decypha Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've had the same problem lately, they say it's going to be a horrible year for ticks and skeeters due to a warm winter pretty much everywhere. Luckily, a quick dip in the hot tub takes care of the ones you cant see :tu:

6. MechDoc

MechDoc Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:

Yes I use Permethrin it seems to be the only thing that consistantly works. Its just so damn toxic it makes me worry that its gonna leach out onto my skin when I am sweating or in the rain.

7. Woody9220

Dislikes Received:
    We never get ticks on us so we didnt use anything. I found some spray that said its ok to use in the car so I sprayed everything down and i'll leave the truck in the sun all day tomorrow. Thanks for the advice.

8. Woody9220

Dislikes Received:
    I just thought up another question. I know thermocells are supposed to keep mosquitos away, but do they do anything for ticks? I was already considering picking up a thermocell but if it can keep this from happening again i'll go get one tomorrow

9. Afflicted

Afflicted Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:

I use the spray so it's just on the outer fabric and not the soak.

10. Ruff

Ruff Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I just wear my compression fit Under Armor. Pull my socks on over the legs and then just treat my wrist area with Permethrin. Then when I get home I undress and throw all my cloths in the dryer and the heat kills them. Just have to remember to clean the lint trap of them or your wife may ban further use of the drier. ;) Works great and your cloths are not full of toxic chemicals.

11. Illinoishunter102

Illinoishunter102 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah, this year is one hell of a year for ticks. Every time i step foot in the woods, I come out with several crawling all over me..I hate ticks more than anything else. I was also thinking, with fresh fawns being dropped about now, those poor fawns are probably absolutely covered in em, and their immune system has to work extra hard...

12. USFAN51473

USFAN51473 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    You need to contact your local Avon rep and get some Skin-So-Soft. Not only does it repel gnats, mosquitoes, and all other fyling insects, it repels ticks and chiggers as well.

13. Copehunt

Copehunt Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My thoughts exactly, I had a bottle of Permethrin in my hand and headed to the check out with it at the local BPS back at spring turkey season and by the time finished reading the label I chickened out and I gave it to the checker and said here I changed my mind on this and did not buy. As far as Thermocells go, I think they only handle mosquitos', flies and nats. Skin So Soft is supposed to be pretty good, however I think it would leave a very strong scent trail behind which could cause problems if you’re setting up stands, prepping or whatever. It’s oil based, so likely to stay around for a while. I ended up using Cutter Backwoods (scent free) and it seemed to work pretty well for me. Only found one tick on my pants leg, none on my skin. However even though it says scent free on the can, it still has an odor to it in my opinion. I wouldn’t be surprised if soon Thermocell comes out with a repellent refill that also works on ticks and chiggers.

14. whitetailbowhunter

whitetailbowhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yea the ticks have been real bad so far. I work in the woods and found 2 on me today. In the past it has been rare for me to ever find one but Ive found quite a few so far.

15. bowsie15

bowsie15 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Permethrin works awesome not 1 Rick so far

16. bowsie15

Dislikes Received:
    Don't know why that sensed but permethrin is awesome no ticks on me yet while working on my food plot. Usually without it I would have a couple dozen on me. But after reading the back of the can I haven't ruled out growing a tail or a 3rd arm after using the stuff for a while!!!!

17. bowsie15

Dislikes Received:
    And the iPhone spell check sux as you can see in my previous posts. The words that come out sometimes are hilarious!!!

18. northernredneck

northernredneck Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have cans and cans of permethrin that have been issued to me and I have used it quite a few times on my uniforms and outerwear. Is it scary stuff? O yea it is but if you handle it and apply it correctly it is a good thing to have while in the woods I believe. I also understand peoples concerns with it and such. With all the vaccinations that i have had though I don't feel that permethrin would make much of a difference to my immune system.

19. bowsie15

Dislikes Received:
    I agree if u read the directions and warnings you will be fine. U just have to be sure not to get it on your skin!!!

20. rizzo999

rizzo999 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I went out and replenished 4 mineral stations on Sunday in an area that I typically am covered in ticks until the first couple of frosts in the Fall. This year I tried an aerosol spray that had 40% deet (can't remember the manufacturer) and an old wise tale of using dryer sheets in your pockets. I probably smelled like the Snuggle bear walking thru the woods, but I can honestly say that I did not pick up a SINGLE tick during my 3 hours in the woods! I am not sure if it was the deet product or the dryer sheets, but it was nice not having to spend a bunch of time removing ticks.