Thumb releases

Discussion in 'Equipment Reviews' started by Vinny2001, Aug 20, 2020.

1. Vinny2001

Vinny2001 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Anyone have any recommendations for a thumb release? I recently decided to switch from my trigger release and was hoping someone would be able to give me some insight.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

Shiloh Sorensen likes this.
  2. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I'm using a tru-fire edge 4-finger, but I don't know the is recommend it per se, if I were to 'do it over'. I have had no issues with it, but now I have more info which would alter my choices. I do like the swivel head on it and the hole on the end allowed be to fashion a loop of paracord which I use as a bit of a safety to not fly througb my riser, if the release slides out of my hand... And it has.

A few thoughts below :
    -Insights from John Dudley - accuracy is affected with more fingers on the release (altering the weight distribution/pull) can affect accuracy.
    -living in the South, sweaty hands can allow a handle-type release to slip from your hands.
    -will you always or never be wearing gloves? If you go with a release where you have a finger hole, it's something to consider for sizing.

If I weren't vested in my choice, and were younger, I might consider a tension/hinge release at this point. Though they probably have more of a learning curve.

Countersg likes this.
  3. Countersg

Countersg Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I use to have a shark double caliper release with a wrist mount. I liked alot but my main issue was I couldn't really feel the trigger. Also as time went on the fabric stretched and I had to change my anchor point. I need up going the the same release wl704 is talking about. I love it alot.

I can always feel where the thumb release is. I can adjust both the location to suit my hand and the sensitivity. Only thing I wish I had was the wrist strap and cord. But that's because I don't want to drop the thing.

Honestly to figure out what works best for you is to try them out.

4. NebMo Hunter

NebMo Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    i tired a couple in that $75-100 range and bought the hot shot vapr 4

like bows though. preference will be person to person. The trufire edge didnt feel like it fit me and neither did the truball.

Hate to be to "you have to go shoot them and find out" guy but... take your bow with you and ask if you can shoot acouple arrows with each release youre looking at

5. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Small drill it (maybe 1/8") or reamer to slightly expand the hole. Maybe 18" paracord (note, end doesn't melt like nylon, so I used a small piece of tape to help feed through the hole)...
    [​IMG]

Countersg likes this.
  6. Countersg

Countersg Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:

I'll have to look at doing that. Thanks for the idea.

7. bigfoot16

bigfoot16 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot a Stan SX3

Very nice release

8. OutbackBryan

OutbackBryan Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Been shooting a spot hogg whipper snapper for about 8 years and love it

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

9. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I keep my release in my bino harness so I always know where it's at. When I get to my stand and get set up, it gets clipped onto my bow string, and that's where it stays until my hunt is over and it goes back where it came from. Works great and no need for a wrist strap.

When it comes to thumb releases, you truly do get what you pay for. I've used a variety of the cheaper models and was never happy with them. Since I switched to the higher end models, it's been a night and day difference. I shot a Carter Too Simple for awhile and now I'm shooting a Stan PerfX and love it.

bigfoot16 likes this.