Thoughts on Ozonics

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by marcuswagner12, Aug 5, 2015.

1. marcuswagner12

marcuswagner12 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    How many people have tried it? I have always been skeptical and agree that it is way over priced. It seems I hear more and more people swear by it.. so im looking for some input.. thank you

2. davidingle

davidingle Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I don't know how much I believe the hype from tv personnel. Also breathing in the ozone.. I've thought about buying one but I think I'm going to go with out it this season

3. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Marcus, for whatever reason I find the whole concept of using ozonics to be ridiculous. I don't want some machine that eliminates my odor. I want to work hard to find a spot to ambush deer without them knowing I am there. I want to do it on my own by using the wind. That simple.

So right to the point. If I were the only hunter on the planet to not use ozonics and I only killed 10% of what everyone else did, that would be fine with me.

4. macsolocam

macsolocam Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I don't believe its ridiculous or fake. Its real. When a house is burned and items like clothing are salvaged they sometimes pack em into trailers and fill it full of ozone and in days it cures the smoke smell. I've also heard of hotels and other businesses using large movable ozone generators to give them that clean atmosphere. If you want some video proof check out White Knuckle Productions, they have videos of down wind deer and them dropping wind trackers at them and the deer are trying to smell them, they know something is up but the ozone creates a cover long enough they could get a shot off.

Personally have been using one for a couple yrs and love mine... I work with over 8 other associates who have them and love them, got great testimonies, some have had them for over 5 yrs. The hard part is the 400$ price tag but if you can justify it and afford it I think its worth every penny.

Sure deer have been killed for years without em but its an awesome tool to have in your pack.

5. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I use ozone as a pretreatment of equipment and camo. No need to bring a unit up in a tree.

6. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Might as well just use a crossbow....

[​IMG]

7. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Dropping wind trackers that float over a deer's head is not proof the deer smells you and is inhaling your scent molecules,yet isn't reacting because of the ozonics. A deer can be "down wind" of you, but your scent molecules float over its head for whatever reason (IE thermals), therefore the deer really isn't downwind of you and doesn't smell your scent, with or without a working ozonics machine.

8. Wiscohunter

Wiscohunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I can think of better things to drop $400 on.

9. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    How many of the detractors on here have used one?

10. Drivingtacks

Drivingtacks Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
  11. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    It's not? So then are your scent molecules flowing on one thermal and the wind tracker on another?

We all want to do this - Ozonics or not. But the fact of the matter is that the wind isn't always consistent and deer don't always walk where you expect them to. Having a safety in place can help turn some of those hunts that would have previously been spoiled into success stories. People who drop that kind of cash on an Ozonics aren't simply going out into the woods and ignoring the wind direction.

I own and have used an Ozonics in the past. I can't say I've ever seen definitive proof that it either does or doesn't work. I personally don't use it very often for two reasons. First, I hate lugging around one extra piece of equipment unless I absolutely have to. Second, I got tired of listening to the fan whine over my head for 4 hours during a hunt. Call me crazy but I enjoy the sounds of nature when I'm hunting and I felt like the noise was taking away from that.

I will still use it in stands where the wind is inconsistent due to terrain features or if I'm hunting a new area and I'm unsure exactly what the movement patterns are. However those situations probably account for 10-15% of my sits. Most of the time I leave it at home.

12. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    All jokes aside, I have no issue with someone who wants to use one, I just have no interest in using one myself. The cost, having to lug it into the tree, mount it up, and the noise it apparently makes (per above). I have no issues with deer winding me so I have no interest in even trying one. I'm not trying to say I'm a perfect hunter but I shower, I wash my clothes, and spray down before walking to the stand and I can't remember the last time I was winded. I don't know why being winded by deer is such a problem for some people that they need to use an Ozonics.

13. macsolocam

Dislikes Received:
    http://www.fieldandstream.com/artic...work-ozone-scent-control-vs-drug-sniffing-dog
    Not a big field and stream fan but to the naysayers maybe you'll read this and think "huh maybe it could work" like I said before 400$ is the real issue if you can't justify it, I understand, just don't try to tell everyone it doesn't work (when you don't use one) because one day down the road you just might try it and love it.

Sent from my ASUS PadFone X using Tapatalk

14. Cooter/MN

Cooter/MN Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    What I'm seeing is people saying they are not interested in using one....not that it couldn't work to some degree?

Why do you care if some people don't want to carry one of these contraptions to their stand with them?

Last edited: Aug 6, 2015
  15. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    ^^ Exactly. ^^ I haven't been winded in God knows how long, why spend money on something to fix a problem I'm not having? Exactly my point. If it works for someone else, more power to them, use it.

16. macsolocam

Dislikes Received:
    Guess I just am speaking from actual conversations either with customers or family. I just am passionate about it because I know some guys who really hated it and now they love it

Sent from my ASUS PadFone X using Tapatalk

17. Wingtipsdown

Wingtipsdown Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I started treating our clothing and equipment last year. Treating our equipment fixed my problems.
    I have myself and 2 sons that hunt. It is so difficult keeping everything scent free especially since everything in my house has a scent attached to it. My wife is the girly girl with scents on everything. We (the guys) hunt. The scents and the hunting clothes were not going as well as I wanted them to. We all bow hunt now, it was just gun hunting only.

I purchased the unit and built a closet - my entire problems disappeared.
    We have been scent free more than anytime in my life.

In the woods - we play the wind, but getting everything ready - it's all ready now thanks to the O.G.!

18. jackflap

jackflap Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I am curious by nature so I bought one to see first hand. I can definitively say it didn't work for me. Deer downwind acted the same as without it. Got in wind channel, smelled me...game over.

Of course the rebuttal I received from the kool aid drinkers was that I probably didn't have it set up properly.....maybe so maybe so.....But I doubt it....

19. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That's fair enough, I am quite sure it will not work in all situations all the time. As far as setting it up properly that's on you to determine if that was the case.

Most detractors have no experience with the unit so I would say your the exception.

20. JDUB

JDUB Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If I was a ground blind hunter I'd use one, but otherwise seems like more trouble than its worth lugging it around. $400 is a lot for one item that may work, but when I think of all the $$ I spend on other crap for hunting its probably not all that expensive.