Thoughts from a new guy

Discussion in 'Crossbows' started by Abnorml, Dec 22, 2022.

1. Abnorml

Abnorml Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I've been recently gifted a used crossbow, now I've never hunted archery because I can't seem to hit the broad side of a barn, from INSIDE the barn with a vertical bow. I'm hoping to improve on that.

I've seen A LOT of great information here and wanted to say Thanks. I'm looking forward to learning as much as I can about getting proficient with, and hunting with this new to me equipment.

It's a Barnett Jackal. I've seen decent reviews on it. Is there anything I should be aware of with this particular x-bow?

2. Oldcarp

Oldcarp Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have never shot the Jackal. The only thing I have ever heard negative is the quiver. I’m not sure if it’s the way it mounts or if it’s in the way of operating the crossbow. If it is the stock scope, they’re not the best of scopes. That is with a lot of barnett crossbows though. There are functional there’s just better scopes out there. There customer service is slow. I own the XP380 so far it has been a good bow. I would get online and read about shooting a crossbow. To learn the safety issues and how to shoot it.

Abnorml likes this.
  3. Abnorml

Abnorml Newb

Dislikes Received:
    The only thing I have ever heard negative is the quiver. I’m not sure if it’s the way it mounts or if it’s in the way of operating the crossbow. If it is the stock scope, they’re not the best of scopes. That is with a lot of barnett crossbows though. There are functional there’s just better scopes out there. There customer service is slow. I own the XP380 so far it has been a good bow. I would get online and read about shooting a crossbow. To learn the safety issues and how to shoot it.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, I've been reading and watching videos to get as much info as I can before taking this bow out to practice. I've seen a lot about no hand guards, but mine has them, and they appear to be stock. There was no scope on it when I got it, so I've got one on the way. I'm not thrilled about the quiver as it seems it would catch on things being parallel with the limbs so I'll probably be replacing that with their side mount quiver.

Oldcarp likes this.
  4. Grouch

Grouch Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    my only complaint is with barnett itself, From my experience they seem to discontinue their models every couple of years, Then they seem to never have any parts, I owned 3 barnett xbows, 1 limb cracked,,, nope limbs not available, 2 had the hand crank cocking device, the cocking string frayed , nope discontinued, no longer available, I said just send me some string i will fix it NOPE ! will never own a barnett again, told them so, they don,t care

5. BowHunt43

BowHunt43 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I had some issues with the Barnett as well and customer service is terrible not sure how they are in business still. I had Barnett Whitetail and had problems with the riser. But it's just my experience I am sure some people are happy with the brand. I invested a little and went to the dark side with Ravin. Happy now. Don't let my post discourage you :))