thoughts about deer movement on my land

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by tomcamaro97, Jun 20, 2019.

1. tomcamaro97

tomcamaro97 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    So i have had my land a year now.. and made some changes to how it was.. now i have plenty of deer on my land but one of the trails they are taking im not a fan of. esseintally when i purchase my land there was barb wire on 3 sides.. 1 side i cant take down, the neighbor (orchard) has an 8ft fence 2 feet away, so it wouldnt make sense. the other two sides i have opened up selectively to have deer move where i want them to. there was one break in the fence existing, and the deer keep using it.. it doesnt go by any of my stands, nor do i really want to put a stand there. would you A close it off to encourage use of the other breaks, keeping in mind maybe the deer would go around and not come on my property (unlikely as they would have to go through a neighborhood). or b do nothing... this has come to the forefront as i have had deer 3 or the last 4 days walking right by my house, and then using this line break. the squiggley line is the path.. yellow is my land. pink is fence.

Attached Files:

• land.jpg
      land.jpg
      File size:
      944.8 KB
      Views:
  2. slickbilly-d

slickbilly-d Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    How many acres is your map representing roughly?

3. tomcamaro97

tomcamaro97 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    my land is just over 10 acres..

there are many more deer paths not shown.. and the deer use them all fairly regularly.

4. tomcamaro97

tomcamaro97 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    pic of one of my hit list bucks going through the opening in questions last gun season.. i should really delete this picture.. the one time i wasnt in my stand... ugh...

Attached Files:

5. Mod-it

Mod-it Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I doubt closing the break you don't want them to use would result in their not entering your property at all, at least as long as there was another spot a reasonable distance away that they feel safe to use. They will likely walk down the fence to the next break if it isn't too far, or just alter the trail so it lines up with the next break. Can you clear a path for them that goes to the break you want them to use? I regularly weed eat out paths that I want them to use and they will start using it. I personally would close up the fence and make them a nice new path and see how they react.

6. tomcamaro97

tomcamaro97 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    mod-it.. yeah the next break is about 100 yards down the fence line, i put it in last winter at the end of hunting season. and the deer have taken to it well. its a break i put in that gives me a 30 yard broadside shot... if they alter their path to not cross my hay field so close to my house.. they may stay in the woods longer , which would run them right past my favorite stand. yeah the fence is kindof a blessing and a curse.. on my old land i used to hinge cut deer trails to force the use i wanted.. the fence is like that ... only on steroids.. but its only a 4 foot fence.. so they can always jump it if the want too.. i had video of 2 does last year.. one walked through the opening.. and the second one jumped the fence , literally right next to the other one

7. blackbear

blackbear Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    It’s. Nice to have these problems, I would close up the section, and move your stand looks like you have food plots in a few places and the deer have other entrances. The fence on the other sides seems like a low fence, plant it and they will come.

Sent from my iPad using Bowhunting.com Forums

8. John T.

John T. Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Reminds me of the time I decided to sleep in. My hunting friend said a nice buck walked under the tree where I was supposed to be that morning!