This was a humble yet valueble education

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by biscuit, Sep 27, 2014.

1. biscuit

biscuit Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    For starters I failed to follow my own SOPs coming out of the woods. To say that day was an A$$ kicker was an underestamant, but that's no excuse for my plain old bad decision. I spent a good 4.5 hours getting a 21 ladder stand up with a chameleon tree blind and all my bow widgets and gadgets up in the tree. Trying to be quiet the whole time. Once I was done I decided to just sit and me quiet for about two hours before dark. I could hear the deer rustling around, so I figured I would wait until it was safe as to not spook any of the deer.

I have a very strict set of rules coming in and out of the woods. Be prepared to make the shot at all times. Well I wasn't I decided to pack up all my tools and extra gear not needed in order to get it back to the truck, which is about a 20 min walk. Range finder should be on my neck with of course some binos handy and bow should be ready to go in a sec notice, NOT IN A SLING WITH THE CAMS COVERED! Binos buried in my bag with my range finder.

Well I make it to the 80 acres of soy beans, bust out of the clearing like a circus clown, and find my self starring the most beautiful 8 point buck in the face. He stomps his front hoof at me, and holds his ground. I put down my ruck, take the bow sling off, dig for my range finder to be sure, pull an arrow from quiver he is still standing a 38 yards. The Nocturnal made that popping noise seating on the string, and voila he is gone into the the woods.

I just screwed up big time. I am slimming down unless I plan on humping in mountains all day. I will be ready to let one fly at a moments notice from this point on, and of course simply follow my own SOPs.

But hey at least I was in the woods, and seeing deer is better than not seeing deer. Some day I will get that opportunity again. And I will be ready!

2. Muzzy Man

Muzzy Man Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    We've all been there my friend. Always expect to see a deer behind every corner and in every field.

3. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I know what you talking about. Many of times I have walked out of woods being quiet, trying to sneak back to the truck and there will be deer standing at my truck less than 10 yards! This has happen more times than I can count.

4. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    38 yards with a buck facing you down and agitated is not generally a shot I'd be anxious to take anyway. You'll have plenty of chances yet, at least this way you only kicked yourself over one mistake.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2014
  5. Muzzy Man

Muzzy Man Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Way better than the usual "I shot a buck... hit him perfect... trailed him for 6 miles... now what?" To which we hear... go back in three days looking for buzzards circling, get your horns and celebrate recovering your trophy. An easy lesson you didn't have to learn the hard way. Great ending to a short story!

6. grommel

grommel Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I like the circus clown comment, made me laugh! Better luck next time, be sure your ready!!

7. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You still had 20 min of shooting light left when you exited the stand? Sounds like you left to early! That's prime time! Don't get down so early and you won't have that problem. :)

8. Slugger

Slugger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Lesson learned.

9. Pastor Scotty

Pastor Scotty Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I feel your pain. Once I was muzzelloading doing my best imitation of Hawkeye from the last mochian. I hear a twig snap i turned around and it was a monster doe I drew a bead on her pulled the trigger and nothing. I forgot to put the shotgun primer in the gun.
    Scotty

10. Afflicted

Afflicted Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Those are the lessons that keep us coming back to the woods.
    You'll get him next time.

Kilboars Hunt Club