this is a fine time

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Jigglestick, Oct 28, 2008.

1. Jigglestick

Jigglestick Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I am starting to realize the necessity for a back up bow.
    my 05 buckskin is still holding up well, but I broke a fiber optic on my vital gear 15 yard pin while scouting a couple day s ago.
    I can adjust for that I guess, but it leaves me with two pins and at least as many HOG white tails in the woods by my place.
    with only one archery shop in the area, who also told me he did not have time to work on a bow he didn't sell, it got me thinking, what would I do if something else happened?
    I really don't know how to press a bow, I dont even have a press.
    how would I replace a string, peep, or drop away anchor?
    I could take it to gander mountain, in bemidji, but I don't know what there turn around is on repairs, plus they're an hour and a half away.

I'm going to be shopping for another bow, set up and ready to go I think.

2. in da woods

in da woods Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    just a little behind the 8 ball. you might be able to pull it off w/a new rig, but you'd have to practice everyday till you go out to get it square.

3. jfergus7

jfergus7 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Instead of investing in another bow why not invest in a press and all the necessary equiptment so you can work on it yourself? Would probably serve you much better in the long run!

4. Jigglestick

Jigglestick Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    good point jfergus. being pretty new at this new fangled archery, I have read that some presses dont work for some bows, bent risers etc.
    not sure what to get if I was to go that route.
    I sure could use some lessons at a pro shop.
    besides, the presses seem somewhat expensive, not that nice bows are cheap, but they're a lot more fun to use:d

we have three bows in our family now. a browning, a bowtech and my reflex.it would be nice to know that one press would work for all of them.

what about those portable presses, the rope kind that have some sort of fastner on each end to connect to the limbs and a tightner in the middle. any reveiews or opinions on these?

5. jfergus7

jfergus7 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Send a pm to Mechdoc. He is a guru when it comes to working on bows. I am sure that he can point you in some directions to get you started. I am sure many others on here can help also. I am just starting to learn but not at the point to start looking at gear yet. I am still trying to learn how to fletch my arrows without messing them all up!!! Good luck

6. Hogwire

Hogwire Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds like a pretty good excuse for buying another new bow to me! LOL! lp