Third shift?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Ghilie, Sep 7, 2016.

1. Ghilie

Ghilie Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Just wondering if there are any other bow hunters out there who work third shift? I work 3 days a week 6:30pm-6:30am. I'm able to get plenty of afternoon hunts in. However I seldom get morning hunts in as they are difficult and really take a toll on me. Am I alone or does anyone else share this struggle?

2. selfbros

selfbros Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    you are worried about hunting the 3 days a week you have to work? Ummmm,,,what about the other 4 days you don't work? I get the 12 hour days crap. I have to do that all the time mostly when I'm on call for the entire week. It's normal for me to put in an 80+ hour week. Not much hunting going on and that sucks. I understand the frustration of not being in the woods when you know something could happen and you miss out, especially when you keep seeing post on social media about sightings or big bucks gets shot. As far as long hours go, I count it as a blessing. Reason why, I don't like putting a lot of pressure on the deer I hunt. I like seeing deer when I hunt, so the less I'm in the woods the less pressure they are having to deal with. equals more daytime movement.

Although a lot of people will sware that being in stand between 10 and 20 is the best time. in the past 5 years, i can say I've seen a good share of big bucks moving then. Last year, I shot my biggest buck to date at Noon. Remember sleep is overrated.

3. Ghilie

Ghilie Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Here in CT we can not hunt on Sunday's, so I have three other days to hunt. In season I try to get one morning hunt a week in. Flip flopping my sleep schedule is just difficult for me.

The majority of my spots have predominate morning activity with little afternoon movements. I think it has a lot to do with the location of the public land and the food sources around it. Per my logs, for every 1 deer I see on an afternoon sit I see 4 on a morning sit.

4. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I work 9pm to 7am, and yes, hunting in the morning is very difficult for me. When I go on vacation, the first 10 days or so are a test of mental strength as about 9am my body starts shutting down and wants to sleep.

5. selfbros

Dislikes Received:
    yeah that sucks, I've pulled 24 hour shifts and tried hunting. I should have been smarter and went to bed.

6. Jeepwillys

Jeepwillys Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    This will be my first year for it. But I will have 3 days to hunt instead of my normal 2. Or I should say 1. Sunday mornings were out and the afternoons were a no go since I went to bed early and didn't want to chance being out looking for a deer in the wee hours of the morning. I'm actually looking forward to it, just gotta make sure I stay strapped in so I can take a lil nap around 9 in my millennium.:tu:

7. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've fought shift work for the last 13 years. no fun. I look like a walking dead zombie by the end of the season. the best shift I was on was 8pm - 430am. I could go in the mornings or evenings. if I killed in the evening I would call in to work.

8. selfbros

Dislikes Received:
    I work a lot of nights do to my profession. Of of our maintenance is done after midnight. There's been several occasions when I completed my work and headed straight to the stand. However, I almost always come home empty, but I think I'm glad. I can't imagine even mowing my yard after working straight through the morning. Field dressing and dragging a deer out with no sleep is beyond comprehension. I'll be going to bed from now on and hunt when it's not depriving me of sleep. although I'm getting older, fatter, balder, but smarter.

9. rock54

rock54 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    i guess i must be the crazy one, i give up my 21 years senority every fall and go to nites just to bow hunt the entire 4month season

here in ohio, i work 11pm til 730am, i only hunt evenings, i am usually in a ground blind or tree stand by 11am-noon and get a little

nap and then i am there and ready for the evening hunt, has worked for me for the last 21yrs, i only hunt when the wind is right and

the other days i sleep as long as the wife is a work, she hunts on the days she can with me when she can get off work or weekends,

we both fill our share of deer tags every year, good luck to all and be safe, russ

10. sethf11

sethf11 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I worked midnights for years. The 11pm-7am. It made life so easy to for things everyday like hunt and workout. Now I'm on a M-F 8am-4pm shift. Which I love for sleep and family life but totally stinks for the extra things like hunting, working out and sports.

11. fairtondoeslayer

fairtondoeslayer Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I love third shift, i work 10pm to 6 am, 5 days a week, best shift IMO for hunting

12. Scott/IL

Scott/IL Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I work rotating 12's, so I get where it can be tough to get up for morning hunts when on my night schedule. I just set a bunch of alarms. What really gets me is when I get a morning hunt in before the night I go in.

If I don't work any OT, I only work 14 days a month too now....so that helps.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

13. bradn4201

bradn4201 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    This law is gay and also stupid. I'm sorry about that , but that just burns me up. Most hard working people only have the weekends to hunt. That just p!sses me off. stupid, stupid, stupid!!!!

14. fairtondoeslayer

fairtondoeslayer Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah here in Nj we could never hunt sundays until 2006 i think it went in affect

15. Ghilie

Ghilie Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Interesting to see all the responses! Lots of us late night bowhunters.

The no hunting on Sunday is stupid. They tried to pass it years back for all hunting on Sunday which failed. Then they went for bowhunting only on Sunday which failed. Last year they pasted bowhunting private land only on Sunday. So I guess it is a start, but I do not have private land.

16. BuffaloBill

BuffaloBill Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I typically work 3pm-3am. So getting in the stand before dawn would be rough. My plan is to go around 10am after getting off work, assuming I don't work that night. Luckily I only have to work six 12s every two weeks.

17. peakrut

peakrut Facebook Admin

Dislikes Received:
    I have been working 3rd shift for years now and I do get out in the morning on my days off. I couldn't give up 10% of my pay for working 3rd shift. 23:00- 07:15

18. Zerocool

Zerocool Newb

Dislikes Received:
    i'll be working from 5p.m. to 5a.m. from the start of the season throughout the rut cause a co-worker is going to be out for surgery, which wouldn't be all that bad but I drive and hour to and from work, I feel your pain

19. kwachHTX

kwachHTX Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:

I work the same. 14 days a month, rotating days and nights. It switches every 4 weeks. 6:15-6:30 either AM to PM or PM to AM. It is hard to get morning hunts in for sure but if that's the plan I try and make it happen.

20. Scott/IL

Scott/IL Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I figure it's only 3 weeks out of the year, and I wait all year for it. Usually only a couple days within those 3 weeks actually cause an issue anyways.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk