Thinking of stepping up in weight?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by mrirbic, Jan 13, 2014.

1. mrirbic

mrirbic Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My question.... I was wondering if stepping up shaft or broadhead weight is a plus or negative?
    I am currently shooting easton's aluminum xx75's with muzzy 125gr heads from my Jennings Buckmaster..
    Now I'm grouping pretty decent but I just feel like I want to pack more punch, without bitting the bullet and stepping up my Bow just yet...
    Any suggestions??? Thanks in advance..

2. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    What is your total arrow weight? I would think it would already be pretty heavy being you are shooting aluminum shafts with 125s..

I am going to say no based on the information you have provided. You can use a arrow ballistic calculator to see if there is any advantage. I think arrows that weigh more then 500 are excessive for whitetails. I like to keep total weight between 400-450 gr.

3. mrirbic

mrirbic Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm not 100% sure of total weight.. but the shafts are The game getter series 2117 xx75's..
    But I'm going over to the shop here in my area of New Jersey and get some more shafts cut and set up for the up coming season and for some reason I just had that thought of wanting more "umph" but thanks for your advice. I think I'm going to stay at about where I'm at as far as weight.

4. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    More weight doesn't always equate to more "umph". At a certain point it actually does more harm then good. Play around with a online ballistic calc. Would need to know how many pounds you are pulling and your arrow length to give any credible advise. There is a good chance you could be underspined shooting 2117 which is a bigger problem then anything else.

5. mrirbic

mrirbic Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I think I understand Heckler..... I'm pulling mid 50's poundage and 29" sticks..

6. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Ok, so you have a 12.0 gr. per inch arrow at 29" = 348 gr.
    125 gr. head

Estimates -

Minimums
    Vanes 20 gr..
    Insert 12 gr.
    Nock 10 gr.

Total arrow weight estimate = 515 gr.

I certainly wouldn't keep adding weight if your pulling mid 50's. :) Your spine looks good at .407.

7. mrirbic

mrirbic Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    So I am already quite heavy... Thanks Heckler for the class..

8. Kansasbuck

Kansasbuck Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Just as a follow up question. assuming this guy has 55 pound pull, and stays with this same arrow, would increasing the poundage, which was the original question, to 65 pounds help? does that extra poundage add KE, significant speed, or make the arrow underspined and ruin the entire setup?

9. Bootlegger

Bootlegger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    more poundage will help...his sig says 52#

10. mrirbic

mrirbic Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yes actually I am pulling 52# and I pretty much do it with moderate ease until somewhere around the 15th shot.then I start to fatigue.
    But my initial question was wanting more arrow punch upon entry. And if I went with a heavier shaft and head would that help with what I was thinking,but Heckler bought a lite on about going to heavy of shaft and head..

I know that In a hunting scenario I'm only looking for that one close to if not perfect placement so I won't be drawing 15 times..
    But maybe I could tighten up on my limbs to get that xtra entry "punch" with my current shafts??

Then again maybe I should just leave well enough alone and stop trying to "over compensate" for something else...LOL