Thinking of hanging it up

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by pastorjim08, Jun 13, 2017.

1. NebMo Hunter

NebMo Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    You should take a benevolence offering next Sunday to help cover cost of crossbow

pastorjim08 likes this.
  2. cocowheats

cocowheats Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Shoot a crossbow. Nobody cares. Nobody with common sense anyway. It don't make bow hunting any easier. Don't listen to the negativity towards crossbows. I would much rather shoot a compound because I feel the movement is a lot easier. Just do it man. That's exactly what they are for. To help people like you out. Don't quit the sport because of pride. There is zero shame in shooting a crossbow. I wish you the best. Sell your compound and move forward. It will be much better for your health and keeps you hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

Billybob619 likes this.
  3. tc racing

tc racing Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I won't think any less of you for shooting less poundage. once I can't pull 35# to be legal that is when the decision making will come into play. until then I say crank it down and find a dr that can help you out. when all of that falls through then get the crossgun. I'm sure toting that big bulky thing around will play heck on your shoulder and neck too. they aren't as light as your bow. unless you get the ravin that is advertised as your next rifle. lol

4. ash d

ash d Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
  5. alenhard15

alenhard15 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    No shame in using a crossbow when it is necessary, I had to use one this past season and found it pretty fun. I'll keep you in my prayers Jim best of luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pastorjim08 likes this.
  6. Whitetail

Whitetail Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    A #40-45 bow will kill any deer. Just use a heavy arrow.

X-Bow if where legal will keep you hunting. I just bought a X-Bow yesterday. I plan to use it as a back-up and when it gets very cold. If I have one last year I would be eating venny. I didn't have time to shoot my bow in December enough to feel good hunting with it. 3-4 shots with a X-Bow and I would have been in the stand.

I bought a X-Bow for my brother with health issues 2 years ago. I set it up & literally shot 4 bolts, was sighted in and comfortable. I told him the X-Bow thing was not for me. No magic flight of the arrow, just a quiet gun. I don't think a X-Bow is archery. But I hoped someday I would be using one. If I can't pull my bow anymore, I would still be hunting and in the woods.

I will use one since it's legal. I get more from being in the woods, finding the travel routes, setting stands, the hunt/chase and outsmarting the old buck (or doe - usually smarter than a buck anyway) than shooting it.

Any legal means is fine with me.

7. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Get you a crossbow and keep slinging arrows! :tu:

8. Swampstomper

Swampstomper Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Go with the crossbow and still enjoy the time in the woods and hunting. Good luck with your decision, I'm probably not too far behind in that decision also.

9. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I just want to see you doing what makes you happy. Also I want to see you healthy so do what you have to do to stay healthy.

10. preachnhunt

preachnhunt Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds to me like you would be willing to go to a crossbow,but are looking for " permission " from your fellow hunters. It is granted. Go and enjoy. No shame. In the future you may be able to pull the weight to come back to a compound. I would NOT advise getting rid of your bow. Things can change.

11. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Not really "asking permission" so to speak. Fact is I really enjoy shooting my compound. If there were no other alternatives I would go with a crossbow. I was just seeing if anyone had any ideas that I had not thought about. I'm going to see a doctor soon and in the mean time I'm trying to work harder in the gym on strength training. Thanks to everyone for your imput.

Blessings..........Pastorjim

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

elkguide likes this.
  12. BB4tw

BB4tw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have a 70 pound compound that I have turned down to 50 pounds for bowfishing.

You can usually go another half crank down past the posted adjustment range. With 60 pound limbs, you could get down to 40 or 45, depending on the published adjustment range.

I wouldn't push the luck any further than that though.

If you aren't comfortable with pushing the limit on the limb bolts, another option would be to buy a new string and cable set and have them made shorter/longer to reduce draw weight.

Do some research first so that cam timing, draw length, etc isn't changed beyond adjustment limits.

Sent from my VS500 using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

pastorjim08 likes this.
  13. rknierim

rknierim Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    That's crap, right there! "3 or 4 shots then off to the woods", that's disrespectful to the animal you're hunting. And LAZY! Maybe you don't need to shoot as much with a crossbow as a vertical bow, but you should still practice to be as proficient as possible.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

14. tc racing

Dislikes Received:
    i have no problem only shooting my compound a few times each year and I get it done with no problems. some people just need more practice than others. I picked up a crossgun a few years back and hit the bull every time. and that was my first time. wasn't very hard.

15. Whitetail

Dislikes Received:
    You know nothing about me. I am far from lazy. Ever shoot a crossbow with a scope? It's like shooting a rifle to me. And I have thousands of rounds through my rifles. After 4-5 shot I am proficient enough with a crossbow to kill a deer a 30 yards. The only thing disrespectful is you.

16. rknierim

rknierim Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I hunt with a crossbow with a scope. I shoot often to make sure I'm as proficient as I can be out of respect for the animals I'm hunting. Whether it be bear or deer, I want the quickest kill possible. Stop whining and go practice.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

17. tc racing

Dislikes Received:
    if a crossgun is hard to shoot I would suggest staying away from vertical bows. lol

18. Innovative Outdoorsman

Innovative Outdoorsman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Glad to hear you are hoping to stick with bowhunting instead of taking up crossbowing. See the doctor, do some PT, crank the weight of your bow down to 40 or get a new bow that goes that low and stay with bowhunting rather than quitting and taking up another activity (in this case crossbowing). If all this fails to work, then you know you gave it your best effort and you can close the book on bowhunting and leave the sport with your head held high. Then, if you wish you can open a new book and take up the activity of crossbowing. You may like this new activity or you may not since you have history with real bowhunting. You may find like those I know that made the switch that they don't care one bit for the activity of crossbowing after they tried it. Some did everything in their power to get back to the sport of bowhunting and others only gun hunted.

19. grommel

grommel Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Exactly what Bje80 said!! Do it and have the time of your life!

20. Whitetail

Dislikes Received:
    Well I guess this is better than the vulgar, rude message you sent me. Have a great season. I wish the people around you the best.

rknierim likes this.