Thinking about picking up a Kodiak Canvas tent

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by BJE80, Jan 22, 2011.

1. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Are they as advertised? I'm can get a "slightly soiled" brand new tent 10'x10' flex bow model for $279. They are $449-499 regular.

I've read good things about them. Are they quality built like the reviews say? Anyone have or used one?

http://www.kodiakcanvas.com/10x10-ft-6-person-flex-bow-canvas-tent-deluxe-2/

[​IMG]

Good reviews and a video here:http://www.competitiveedgeproducts.com/detail.aspx?ID=859#Reviews

Cabelas: http://www.cabelas.com/product/Kodi...anvas+tent&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products

2. GMMAT

GMMAT Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Forgive me....but, why would anyone buy a canvas tent (that was that size)?

3. DropTine249

DropTine249 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    They're far more durable than any of the synthetic tent materials used for "normal" tents.

For setting up a quick shelter while on patrol, or, semi-permanent CP/OP/FOP, they do just fine(Military), because of their durability.

A few guys I know are heading out West for a 2 week Elk hunt, later this year. If I were going, I would be bringing a canvas tent.

4. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    For me and my son. They (this one) go up faster than a regular nylon cabin tent. It will last a lifetime. They stand up to storms better. The ventilation of canvas vs. Nylon is superior.

Take a look at the video. Once the poles are inserted, the roof is fully rigid and supports itself.

It is a great two person, all season tent that will last (I think)

Edit: I may also use it for quick Grouse Camps when we don't take the whole set-up.

5. GMMAT

GMMAT Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    To each his own. So far, I haven't learned anything that woul make me want to carry a tent that was smaller than mine (by 25%) and weighs more than 3X what it weighs.

What's the allure of canvas? I really am trying to learn something here. That tent weighs 68#'s!

I would, too....if I was putting up a wall tent. This is a relatively small tent, though.

Do you plan to cook in it? That would make a difference.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2011
  6. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:

Although I'm not an expert....... I do know the following about good canvas tents (I'm hoping these are):

• The ventilation of canvas is far superior. Canvas let's air moisture out while being completely waterproof even when touched. If you have been inside a canvas tent during rain you will notice how it does not become muggy on the inside. The air stays so much dryer. They are much more comforable in that regard.
    • The insulation factor in terms of heat is far greater.
    • If properly stored, this tent will last a lifetime. 25 years +
    • Take a look at the video, the zippers on canvas tents are so much better built. They don't jam on the water guards flaps. You can actually open the zipper with one hand instead of having to guild it like you do on a regular tent.
    • The don't rip and get holes in them like regular tents do.
    • They stand up to Thunderstorms and snow much much better.
    • It's a tent you can rely on no matter what the weather.

We have a 14x16 Davis Canvas tent http://www.davistent.com/ for our Grouse camp. They really are great. I hope these Kodiak ones well built as well.

7. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:

No, this would be sleeping only. No wood stove (it's not an option with these). I would use this from everything from sleeping in the backyard with the kids, to wilderness camping, to campsite camping.

Edit: I have not bought one in the past because $449 for a 10x10 is a lot of money. But I can get one for $279 (right now) that has some stains on it (big deal to me). I would pay lets say $129 for a good cabin tent and it may only last me 5 years. So if this tent lasts me 20 years I got it paid for in 10 years and have a better, more comfortable tent (if they are good).

At least this is my thought process. I guess I am done with cheap Nylon as I am getting older. I want the best.

8. GMMAT

GMMAT Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I wasn't talking about cheap nylon. I've got a North Face and Marmot.

If you've had good luck with them....I'd say go for it. The stains wouldn't mean anything to me, either. I haven't slept in a canvas tent since Boy Scouts. But, that looks like a nice one.

9. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I see what tents you are talking about now Jeff. Honestly, I was comparing them to your standard Coleman/Wenzel type nylon tents. For me, it was either those or a canvas. Never even considered the mountaineer type tents. Maybe I'll will and will look.

How long do those last typically? Are they as durable after 10 years as they are on day 1? I already know they hold up well in storms.

The way I see it, the biggest difference between the mountaineer tent and a canvas tents is two things.

-Plenty of height to fully stand up having essentially vertical walls.
    -R-value in the cold.

Your tents have a weight advantage. Any particular tent I should be considering in the 100-150 sqft range?

10. GMMAT

GMMAT Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Check REI for the specs you want....THEN check Sierra Trading Post. You'll get great deals at STP.

I've had my North Face for 15+ yrs.....but, honestly, it rarely gets used (maybe 30X). Nothign wrong with it, though.

The Marmot is 10yrs old and less used (too big for just me, and the wife ain't real keen on tentin' it!). Shows no wear. But, I honestly use it maybe 1-2X/yr (big 3D shoots).

I think you'll like what you find at STP. NO "R" value (at all). But, the people climbing mountains seem to survive!

One of the guys that camps with us at the shoots has a teepee (canvas). Seems to do great. I just haven't seen canvas tents (other than wall tents) being used in a LONG time. I was honestly looking to see if they had any advantages I felt were worth it. No more than I use my 2.....they'll last me (and the people who borrow them...lol) forever.

11. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    To help answer your question about what does Canvas offer. (I wanted more info myself as I knew I loved Canvas but was not sure why other than what I said above).

I read this. http://canvasandcast.com/valuable_information.htm

It has a good point about how a canvas tent is cooler on hot days and warmer on cold nights. Also repair is much easier with a canvas. So other than the points I mentioned above that is about it Jeff. Now, I'm not one to hike to camp. Usually I am driving right to the spot I am camping, unload the tent right at the set-up site. Weight is not a factor.

Interesting discussion. :moose:

I'm still hoping someone has had some experience with these Kodiaks.

12. DMT

DMT Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I am a very new member on this forum and noticed this old thread on canvas tents. This topic interests me because, being located here in Utah, I have had some experience with both Kodiak Canvas-- located five miles from my home and I know people who work there--and their inspiration, Springbar tents, which I have used for over 35 years and know the manufacturer (Kirkhams) well.

Here's what I know. Springbar designed an innovative canvas tent using flexible spring steel bars and sturdy support poles a long time ago. I got my first Springbar for Christmas in 1973, but they were made long before that. I am still using that tent, btw. It works like a charm and the customer service of Kirkhams is totally insane. They've made dozens of minor repairs on this tent over the years, for next to nothing -- all done here in the SLC area -- and they are open to adding one-off custom features, which is unheard of with most well known tent companies that manufacturer in factories in Asia. I'm kind of into modding my tents.

So an advantage of the Springbar is that it doesn't require guy lines and extra stakes to stabilize it, which can be awkward, especially at night, and their superb craftmanship with quality materials, and that they are very easy to set up. The adage is that they were designed for an 85 year old woman to set up alone...in under five minutes. I don't know about that, but I do know that my mother set up a complex large Springbar with an extra bedroom on her own in the rain at girls camp when she was in her 50s...and it was the only tent standing after an all-night rain storm (it served as the "rescue" tent when 16 drenched girls and 4 adult women leaders, similarly drenched, needed shelter at 3am after their tents failed...no wonder so many women hate tent-camping).

I can attest to their sturdiness from having taken them on deer hunts for years, some of which involved a dumping of heavy snow, which the tent took in stride. Wind, heavy snow and rain, don't affect them at all. Last weekend, my 9 year old son and I camped in a springbar in an all-night rain storm (the weather report later said it dumped 1.5 inches that night). It was highly satisfying to remain completely dry, with no condensation in such a sturdy tent, when the nylon tents around us were compromised in some way or another by constant, heavy rain from 10pm to 9am the next day.

I also use high end expedition nylon tents for backpacking because of the weight advantage. I have nothing against nylon tents; they are unbeatable if you are packing it in yourself. But if you are less sensitive to weight, there is nothing better, IMO, than either a Springbar or a Kodiak Tent. Just know, Kodiaks are an imitation of the Springbar. Their founders used to work for Kirkhams and discovered that the Kirkham family let the Springbar patent lapse, and so they jumped at this opportunity to basically rip off the Springbar design and make a few improvements on it. Springbars are still made by hand in Sugarhouse (SLC) Utah by very skilled workers who have been doing it for decades. Kodiaks are designed in Utah and manufactured (where else?) in China. However, Kodiak has managed to keep the quality testing very high and I am impressed by what I have seen so far in Kodiak tents, which has a rapidly growing line of tents, some of which are highly innovative, like their canvas truck tent, which I think is really cool because obviously, weight is not going to be an issue as it is literally mounted on the truck. I wish I had one of these when I was a teen sleep under the stars in the back of the truck and waking up soaking wet more often than not.

13. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
  14. smctitan

smctitan Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Well it's been two years, isn't it time for another one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

www.skyangler.com