Thinking about deer season...

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by HoytHunter831, Jul 25, 2014.

1. HoytHunter831

HoytHunter831 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys, I'm just looking at the maps of my hunting properties and trying to figure out some better spots for stands. I've heard quite a few different guys say that there is one tree mature bucks walk past more than any other tree on the property, well I'm having a hard time finding that tree.

Wind and accsess seems to be the most troubleing thing for me when finding new stand sites. It is very hard to hunt the "good" spots without atleased one deer either winding me when I'm hunting or seeing/smelling me when I walk in. Where I hunt is pretty flat with a few small draws here and there. Mostly Oak, Ash, Locust and some Cedar trees. I know a lot of guys talk about finding one or several loaded Oak trees and hunt there when they're falling but there are so many oaks the deer really don't congregate to one tree in general.

I am going to try to hunt more scrapes this early season as well as later in October. There arn't really any good funnels that I know of around so I usually just hunt a good trail or somewhere that I've seen deer walk past.

Just trying to figure things out for this fall, thanks for any input for advice. (My season starts Sep 1st)

2. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I hate to ask the obvious questions but do you have trail cameras out and are you using methods to cover/eliminate your scent? In the early season I would hit the food source where the deer are still in their regular element and pattern. During the rut I would find the tromping grounds between the bedding and the food, the area that they can run around and chase the does but still remain secluded. Then in the late season I would go back to the food source. Enter and exit the property with the wind in your favor with the least amount of intrusion possible. If you walk in on the same side the wind is coming from, it's throwing your scent all over the property you are trying to hunt.

3. HoytHunter831

Dislikes Received:
    Yes I have 6 trail cams and I always wear rubber boots that I spray with scent killer and I also spray the cameras down after I touch them. And I do everything I can to be as scent free as possible when hunting.

I know all of the average strategies when hunting the rut and late season. We have corn, bean and wheat fields all over so it's really hard to hunt in between the bed and food. I might be thinking too hard just need some early season ideas.

4. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Have a buddy or family member drop you off and pick you up at the stand in a truck or maybe a tractor. Deer might be use to seeing them. My favorite time to hunt is early season, I watch the fields in the evening for a few nights before the season starts and watch were the mature bucks are entering. Then on opening day during the hottest part of the day (The hotter the better, the bucks will be bedded) I will move in and hang my stand, then leave. Go home get cleaned up and try to be scent free and go back in the evening for the hunt. This usually is a one shot deal but has work for me for the last three years and have taken 2 out 3 bucks on opening day.

5. TwoBucks

TwoBucks Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have never heard that advice before, but I wouldn't doubt it one bit! Im going to have to keep my eyes open this fall and see if I see a tree like that!

6. HoytHunter831

Dislikes Received:
    Good idea, there aren't very many mature bucks around at all but I could try that. Ive been out watching fields so far this summer and will more next month.

7. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    They change there pattern from week to week and I wait til a few days before the season starts to glass the fields, usually they stay on that pattern thru opening day.

8. HoytHunter831

Dislikes Received:
    I'll give that a try this year!

9. HoytHunter831

Dislikes Received: