Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Things Looking Up in PA... Monster Bucks being taken

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by muzzyman88, Nov 28, 2012.

1. atlasman

atlasman Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:

Then why didn't you??

No, it won't............and no it's not. Tony, you really should educate yourself on some of these things.

2. Don't Poke the Bear

Don't Poke the Bear Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I just read all five pages of this thread, you guys present some great arguments on both sides, but other than ARs and hunting pressure, not one person ever mentioned other factors that may contribute to the increase or decrease of big buck sightings in PA. How about food availability? Of course, the select few that are able to hunt private land, particularly farms, will see an increase in mature bucks. Farms can provide an incredible amount of nutrients for deer, and they will travel to where the food is abundant, and stay there as long as the food is there, every hunter knows this. But for those that dont have access to farm hunting, and are forced to hunt the forests of PA, hows the acorn drop? is it high or low? better or worse than previous years? There are direct correlations between food availability and deer movement/growth, and the annual acorn drop is an obvious indicator. In CT, the annual acorn drop is kind of a relative phenomena, it depends on the region and changes from year to year. Some corners of the state will grow HUGE bucks, while others wont, and the next year will be different, leaving some hunters sitting in their trees scratching their heads saying "where did all the big bucks go?" What other animals are competing for the same resources, and are their numbers on the incline or decline? Is there an increase or decrease of predators, other than hunters? Yes, hunting pressure will, without question, impact deer populations, but they need food to get big. Its very easy as hunters to focus on hunting regulations as the sole reason for the increase/decrease in deer populations and antler size, but there are many other factors that contribute to the growth of big bucks that can easily be over-looked. If the food is abundant in ALL areas of PA, predatory animals are at minimum, and there is little competition for resources from other animals, and the the bucks are still small... I would say the problem lies with hunting regulations. But I'm going to guess, that like CT, big buck sightings in PA will fluctuate from region to region and year to year.

3. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I was in a glass case of emotion ;) ... if ARs were in effect, I would have

Atlas ... you.are the only voice that argues with them... I did read on it...do it yourself....Google it, lol ..

4. cmonsta

cmonsta Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    So you want there to be a quota on hoe many bucks can be killed in NY? Well that doesn't seen fair, now when PT wants to kill a buck to honor a family member but can't because all the tags are filled that year. St least with ARs he just has to keep lookin and huntin for a legal buck, there's still a chance. You don't want the government to yell you hoe big you can shoot but its ok for them to tell some it took them to long so they are out of luck.

5. muzzyman88

muzzyman88 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    atlas, let me throw this across the fence to you...

You've made the statement already about how no one should legislate the type of buck you should be allowed to shoot. In other words, we should be allowed to shoot a spike, or 4 pointer, etc. The very same deer that if given another year, would be a bigger deer both in body and rack size. How is that fair to those who'd rather wait on a better buck? The guys who want a better buck are certainly not going to affect those who shoot the first horn they see. So why not give everyone the opportunity to hunt and shoot a better buck?

You can easily spin the table and say that those who shoot anything are affecting those who choose to be more selective. Its kind of like walking into a really good restaurant and everyone in there is smoking except you.

As I said, those that are upset about AR are the meat hunters. I just can't fathom how anyone can say that letting a small buck walk would be detrimental to getting a better buck in future.

6. atlasman

Dislikes Received:

You would have gone home empty handed and never have the memory you carry for the rest of your days. Remember that next time you want the govt telling you what deer you can shoot because its missing a point.

Reading the pdf's online is not what I meant. Use your head man and you will be shooting bigger bucks in 3 years instead of 15.

7. rybo

rybo Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You all should know by now atlas is the all knowing, never to be defeated, debate winner on here. To resist is futile. He is the master at spinning and can correct people with what they were really trying to say, because he's just that awesome.

8. atlasman

Dislikes Received:

Already in place........needs to be lowered to allow more bucks to survive.

Then he already killed his buck...........how many should we be allowed to kill??.....10??

Wrong. You obviously don't know NY law. 1 buck per season.

Are you drunk??

9. atlasman

Dislikes Received:
    Since when does hunting need to be fair?? Are you one of the "every kid gets a trophy" crowd?? You know what's fair? You each paid the same for your license and you each can go kill whatever you want to fill your tag. Sounds fair to me. You don't like someone else effecting your hunting but you are more then happy to intrude on them.

What's next?? Can't fish for perch because they aren't big enough?

I guess meat hunters are unworthy of the same lofty status you place on yourself. Careful up there on that high horse bud ;)

10. atlasman

Dislikes Received:

Thanks dude :)

When you guys understand that I am not bashing AR's as much as I am saying their are much better solutions then you will start to understand.

Why doesn't Kansas need AR's???............cause they barely have 100,000 hunters that all know slammers are a realistic goal.

11. cmonsta

cmonsta Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Not talking about NY law, talking about your island example. You said 100 hunters to kill only 50 bucks.

12. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    In Virginia one can take 3 bucks in 80% of the state.

13. John Galt

John Galt Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    HR not AR is the problem. ATLAS IS RIGHT, its all in the numbers.
    Ws killed our deer in areas that had no need for HR all because the mountain; areas of the state needed it.
    And it continues today.

14. atlasman

Dislikes Received:

What???............put down the booze and type a clear readable post and I will respond

15. atlasman

Dislikes Received:
    Think it's 1 a day in Florida :lol:

16. atlasman

Dislikes Received:

There's hope yet :)

Numbers will ALWAYS dictate results over all else. You have 10 bucks born on the same day and with AR they all could be wiped out before reaching 3.5. But if you only allow 6 of them killed each year by year two you will have 14 then 18 then 22 then 26.

Only way they will be there is if you don't kill them. AR's just let them all get killed a year later.

Put a million hunters like PA has in Kansas and that place would be decimated in 3 years to rubble.

17. cmonsta

cmonsta Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    What part can't you figure out? Pretty sure you are the one with the drinks. Either that or you know you are wrong but not man enough to just say it or back down. So you instead try to take it off topic with a post like that. It's ok though, no need for you to explain. As you can see by so many responses here, we, the pa hunters, are happy with ARs and know it is doing well, because we can look out our windows and see it first hand. HR, that's another thing. This thread was started to show pa has changed to a state with bigger antlers then it once had, thanks to ARs, along with a few other things. I'm proud of the results and hope more people are like you...so they go some where else

18. atlasman

Dislikes Received:

This was your last post

It's barely readable..............and you bark back that you were talking about my island example..........:lol: Tell me where in that rambling I was supposed to pick that up.

19. Van

Van Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    [​IMG] this buck was taken in northeast pa on Tuesday about 5 miles from my house. NEVER seen a pa buck quite like this.

Edit: the more I look at this photo in a larger form it looks like its photoshopped doesen't it?? Some one texted it to me and i coulden't tell on my phone.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 29, 2012
  20. cmonsta

cmonsta Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I misspelled 3 words, all small mistakes from typing on a phone, and you cant read it? Wow. Anyway, your island example said you think 100 hunters should only kill 50 deer...aka a quota. And I quoted your post where you talked about your island example so you knew what I was replying to...but guess you couldn't pick up on that.

Anyway, sorry muzzyman that this post went to this. Thanks a ton for showing the pictures that you intended to speak about. You are right, things are looking good here bud and hope to see plenty of pictures with you and big pa bucks in the future.