Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Thermal Monoculars

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by CountOnMyVote, Aug 22, 2023.

1. CountOnMyVote

CountOnMyVote Newb

Dislikes Received:
    What's your thoughts on thermal monoculars. I splurged on a pulsar yesterday. Maybe it will help in a few ways.

2. NebMo Hunter

NebMo Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    possession of it while hunting is illegal in Missouri

3. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I love mine. I use it when field hunting out of box blinds to make sure the field is empty before we step out. It’s also great when blood trailing.

4. DelbertKorte

DelbertKorte Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thermal monoculars are a fantastic addition to your gear collection! They come in handy for a lot more than people might think. I also invested in a Pulsar recently, and it's been a game-changer for me. Whether it's for outdoor adventures or just exploring the night, it's proven its worth. And since we're talking about gear, if you're into bird watching, I've got a hot tip for you. I stumbled upon a webpage dedicated to helping enthusiasts like me find the best monocular for bird watching. It's been a game-changer for getting those close-up views of our feathered friends in their natural habitat.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2023
    Shocker99 likes this.
  5. kyner

kyner Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:

What model did you guys get?

6. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I have a Pulsar Axion and it's awesome. As others have said, great for checking fields in the dark before you head across them. It's also fun to play with while you're on stand in the morning and hear movement in the dark. It's amazing what you can see out there!

It's come in handy on a few recoveries as well.

ILL BUCK likes this.
  7. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Anyone know if these are illegal anywhere? I've thought about for fun adding one but have zero knowledge or clue on this.

8. 0317

0317 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I thought thermals were illegal in Indiana ... infrared = thermals ?

"The use of infrared sensors or electronic deer calls to locate or take deer is illegal. It is also illegal to hunt or to retrieve deer with the aid of an infrared sensor or to hunt deer while possessing an electronic deer call."

9. 0317

0317 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    and before anyone asks why ... per DNR ..

The intent of the regulation was to maintain the concept of fair chase. The Indiana Administrative Code states, “An individual must not use infrared sensors to locate or take deer. An individual must not hunt or retrieve deer with the aid of an infrared detector.” The device cannot be used in taking, locating, or retrieving the deer. The hunting guide has combined two different subsections of the administrative rule. The wording is not as clear as it could be. An individual may not use an infrared sensor or an electronic deer call to aid in taking deer. However, it is illegal to possess the electronic deer call while hunting deer. It would not be illegal to possess a device that has infrared capabilities, only to use the abilities to aid in the location, taking, hunting, or retrieving of the deer.