There's something nice about elk season coming before whitetails...

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Greg / MO, Aug 3, 2008.

1. Greg / MO

Greg / MO Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Not only have I been busting my butt to get back in shape (which honestly has been more for personal reasons of just wanting to look good again more than anything), but the main thing is I've been shooting at long distances again in preparation for heading out West.

I shot as much this summer, if not more than, as usual but it was mostly with the 3d rig and working on back tension and at the yardages I would see in Hunter Class... Though I've got a shoot or two left, I'll be forgoing the Connie from now on and taking the hunting setup.

Today, with just under a month left, I started my routine of shooting from 60 yards... I'm extremely happy with my form and shooting, as I didn't have one group at 60 larger than a softball, and I've only got pins at 20, 30, 40 and 50. But the main thing is how easy the shots seem at 40 and under after shooting a volley of arrows at that distance.

I know we hear it all the time, but it really does make the shots that will come at whitetail range seem so much easier when you're practing at longer distances. :beer:

2. buckeye

buckeye Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I am pulling for you to nail a big one bud.... Let's just hope your pack frame can handle that much bone to pack out :d

3. peakrut

peakrut Facebook Admin

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck Greg.

4. in da woods

in da woods Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm jealous. I was supposed to go to Idaho for an elk hunt, but have to wait till next yr. Hope fully we'll see you on a mag cover this fall. Yeah, it is amazing how easy it seems to be after shooting from 50/60 yds & then get closer. 20 yds seems like your standing next to it, and why are the groupings always much tighter?

5. huntingson

huntingson Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Where I can't say that I haven't had a group at 60 no larger than a softball, I too am finally getting things together. My last few shootings have been really good and I have my shooting "thoughts for the year" all figured out. Broadheads are checked, license (deer) is in hand, and I am just watching the clock tic, toc, tic... My only problem with shooting from the longer distances basically exclusively is that when I step up to 20 or 30 yards I tend to rush the shot because it seems so close (if that makes any sense at all). So, I have begun practicing more at these yardages as well. I'm certainly not trying to give you shooting advice as you are far better than me, I am just speaking for myself here.

6. shed

shed Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Pulling for you here as well Greg, I hope you get a big ole screamer blowing snot and whizzing all over himself up close enough you smell him and feel the ground move! Just thinking about big bulls gets me fired up. Hey by chance are you filming this hunt?

7. bloodcrick

bloodcrick Moderator/BHOD Prostaff

Dislikes Received:
    Best of luck this season Greg. I really enjoyed your thread from last seasons adventures. Im jelious to :d
    I agree the shooting from farther yardages makes the close ones seem alot easier.

8. Dan

Dan Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck Greg, I'm envious!!!

I haven't started shooting the long distances yet, but will in the near future.

9. Greg / MO

Dislikes Received:
    No, no filming Troy. I wish I was; I'd send you in some footage for RutJunkies! :)

Actually, I'll be VERY happy if I get a shot at a cow, and my wife will be ecstatic. I had a few spikes within range last year, and could have dropped from my stand on opening morning onto the back of a big spike... unfortunately, the boys have to have four points to a side in the unit I'm in to be legal.

10. Dubbya

Dubbya Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    I know exactly what you mean Greg, I've been doing the same. I love it when 40 yards feels like a chipshot!

11. MichaelHunsucker

MichaelHunsucker Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah, ive done this as well. After practicing at longs distances, 40 just doesnt seem that far!

Good luck on your trip greg! Keep me posted!

12. rybo

rybo Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Amen. My elk hunt a few years back was what really opened my eyes to long range shooting prep.

Good luck this fall. Hope you nail one. 6 weeks from this friday for my trip. When are you headed out?

13. Greg / MO

Dislikes Received:
    We'll leave out sometime around mid-moring on Aug. 27 and stay until Sept. 6.

I was talking to some guys in our corporate office today in Eugene, CO., and they said it's pretty hot out there still... I'm hoping the temps really change by the time we get out there; last year, there was a couple days we'd come back in around noon and strip down to gym shorts and flip-flops. The temp readout on our vehicle said it was 92 degrees! :(

14. Sliverflicker

Sliverflicker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Hell Troy, You got me all worked up and Im not even going Elk hunting.
    Best of luck on the hunt Greg.

15. in da woods

in da woods Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    yeah, that's weird to be out hunting in that warm of a temp, compared to the midwest. I'm going to try to hunt opening weekend in Sept., but as with every yr. I think it's too warm to go out. good luck out there.

16. rybo

rybo Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Wow you are headed out EARLY!
    I have to wait till Sept 19th till I go.