Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

The "Whoops" Buck

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Justin, Oct 9, 2008.

1. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    November 19th, 2006 was set to be a great day in the field. The rut was winding down and the bucks were cruising around looking for the last hot does. It was a cold morning, in the upper 20's, and I was geared up for an all-day sit. I had my heavy insulated bibs and coat on, and plenty of snacks to keep me fueled up. I got to my stand a good hour before light and waited for the sun to rise on what I knew was going to be a great day in the field.

An hour after light a doe and two fawns made their way past my stand headed toward their bedding area. A short while later they came running back the other way with an unseen buck grunting after them. I was so sure it was a shooter I think I made up my mind before the buck even came into view. As the does skampered off I caught a quick glimpse of antler, a nice long G3, which signaled shooter. At the time I was looking for anything 2 1/2 or better.

The buck entered a thicket where I couldn't see him despite being only 30 yards out and headed right for my shooting lane. My brain entered Kill Mode and I was focused on one thing - making a good shot. When he stepped out at 18 yards I grunted to stop him and sent a Nitron through both lungs. A perfectly placed shot, the buck expired within seconds only 40 yards from my stand. My season was over as this was my 2nd buck of the year. I let out a sigh of relief, allowed myself a few minutes to embrace the sights and sounds of this beautiful morning, and got down to retrieve my buck.

Upon walking up on him I immediately thought "Hmmm.....thought he was a lot bigger!" What my eyes had quickly determined as a shootable 2 1/2 year old buck materialized into a gorgeous 1 1/2 year old with quite a bit of potential, had our paths not crossed on that fateful day. I took a moment to reflect on my season and the great times that I had before tagging him and calling Mike to come assist with the dragging and loading.

I told myself before the season started that I wasn't going to shoot a buck that I would not mount, and although I made a judgement error when shooting this deer I decided to be a man of my word and take him to the taxi. He is now immortalized on my wall forever, and I'm happy. He looks good and will eventually look good in my man cave, when I get around to having one. :tu:

2. TEmbry

TEmbry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I sure hope a whoops buck happens by me this season, he would be promptly delivered a shaft.

Cool that you went through with the mount as well. Nice looking buck, killing something, regardless of what, is a GREAT feeling isn't it?

3. peakrut

peakrut Facebook Admin

Dislikes Received:
    Killing any deer with a bow is a great feat IMO.
    Looks great JZ!

T

4. jfergus7

jfergus7 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Great story and mount JZ. Are you going to put it right over the bed now so the wife can awaken every morning to it?

5. bloodcrick

bloodcrick Moderator/BHOD Prostaff

Dislikes Received:
    loved the story J :cool:

6. racewayking

racewayking Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Crik, you're back!! I was starting to think that you locked yourself in a bedroom and nobody knew.

7. peakrut

peakrut Facebook Admin

Dislikes Received:
    He has the laptop in there with him 1 hour per day.

8. in da woods

in da woods Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That's a cool story Justin. He has character, & you did right by him getting him mounted. I wish I had mounted a 9ptr I shot a few yrs ago, but unfortunately I was talked out of it by friends of mine. They said had his tine not been broke it would have been a 10, that his ear was ripped up, & he was symetrical. Foolish of me to listen. I am impressed with your sense of honor, not much of that around these days.

9. Aaron

Aaron Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I hope I mess up and shoot a deer like that.lol

10. Schultzy

Schultzy Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I agree Tony!

11. isaiah

isaiah Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    -in da woods- said it all, not much honor at all around any more. thats what makes this mount special. i challenge any bow hunter to think back and name a deer that wasnt a trophy. we are different than others!

12. gplant

gplant Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Nice Mount!!! Man thats a pretty nice buck!!! All bow kills are Trophys in my book!

13. 130Woodman

130Woodman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That was a great story. I'm glad you manned up to the mounting. It looks good.

14. dukemichaels

dukemichaels Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You are an honorable man Justin.

He'll make a fine addition to your walls (when the wife lets you have walls.):d

15. Dr Andy

Dr Andy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry to hear your season is over. I guess Todd has a full-time videographer now!