The Tried & True!

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Drawdown, Aug 25, 2015.

1. Drawdown

Drawdown Newb

Dislikes Received:
    We all love buying new gear cause it gives us a good anticipation of better things to come. But I know also we all have gear that has been tried, stood the test of time, or suddenly filled a spot that hasn't been filled over a long time, and just falls into our way of hunting! Funny but most of that special gear for me is very low $ to acquire but priceless now. I'd like to mention some of mine.
    1-My German Military Rucksack-Aprox$20- I love hunting on the ground, and it is perfect for what I need to carry, no zippers, quick to grab everything you need when in a hurry. I hunted my butt off in 05-07, for a spring turkey with a longbow, no blind. Lots of running and gunning. Now it's just right for deer.
    2-Ameristep 3-leg swivel stool-Aprox$20- Perfect for ground hunting on any terrain. Actually I'm on my 2nd one after wearing the first out after many years. I've got to mention 2 more that are also used a lot. My Dean Torges treeseat that I made myself, is used a lot after 10 years and still as good as new, and the most comfortable of all when a good tree is in the right spot. And my Nif-T-Seat. Quick and easy and terrain doesn't matter, but not very comfortable for a long sit.
    3-Tasco 10x25 Binocs-Aprox$25 about 25 years ago. Most will laugh at em but around here you're hardly ever looking farther than 100 yds, usually less, and they'll fit in a shirt pocket or jacket, weigh nothing. I have Burris Landmarks 8x32 that are great but to big and heavy to fool with. I must admit I'd like a pair of good compacts the size of the Tasco's but I'm sure they'd cost a lot more $'s
    4-Last but certainly not least My Homemade Leafy Poncho- I cut it from the leaf stamped camo material, made it like a rain poncho, with a large hood. When I sit on a stool it covers me completely to the ground, on or off in less than a minute The turkeys will run over top of you!