The rut in the Northeast? ANY THOUGHTS

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by Masskiller, Oct 16, 2013.

1. Masskiller

Masskiller Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hows it going guys . just wondering if anyone of you know when the rut in the NORTHEAST, LIVE IN MASS will be best, i got a couple days offin Nov an i was just wondering what week or days should i take off in Nov i know the first 2 weeks are great but one week is normally better than the other any thougts wouls appreciate it thx

2. Dawn Assassin

Dawn Assassin Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    So many different reports on the rut in NJ I dont know what to believe lol some say its gonna stay the same and others say its pushed back. My thing is if your in the woods you'll know when the rut is on. I think the 2nd week of Nov will be the best time

3. Masskiller

Masskiller Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks i keep hearing diffent things days an dates

4. gltomp

gltomp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Be in the woods from 11/7 on...

5. Dawn Assassin

Dawn Assassin Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I read a artical and NJ biologist said the rut will be super late the 16th through the 25th but I cant beileave that because its always been the same since ive been hunting give or take a couple days

6. bwebb2

bwebb2 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've seen the most action in mass between the 7th and the 11th of November. I would suggest the second week but you never know. Both of them are hot times to be in the woods.

7. Lung Buster

Lung Buster Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I don't know what dates are going to be best but I sat last night and watched a 6" spike making scrapes and chasing does!! I don't know what is going on!!!

8. ArcheryAddict21

ArcheryAddict21 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    That could have been what some deer biologists call the "false rut" which is like a 2-3 day span where bucks get up on their feet and show early signs of rut.. I cant say ive ever seen it but ive heard about it a decent amount and my good friend has scene it and swears by it.

As far as dates according to Charle's Alsheimer rut is kicked on by the temp staying below 45 degrees Fahrenheit and when the second full moon after the autumnal equinox which in the northern hemisphere happens all at the same time no matter the state. The "seeking" phase starts 3-4 days before this and goes up to 3-4 days after. After that the chasing begins and will stay for around 10 days after the full moon. So I'd take a look at the lunar calendar and find the full moon phase in late october/early november and plan around that.

I only know all of this after researching it myself a few weeks ago.. Heres another good article by Alsheimer saying the same things practically.. A good read for any bowhunter.

Charles Alsheimer: Articles: TOUCHED BY LIGHT<